DIY is a rocky road.

Be prepared before you venture into the "Do it yourself" security system arena. I think it means "Do In Yourself."

The manuals SUCK!

Reply to
Charles Schuler
Loading thread data ...

I have a whole collection of them in my basement i have taken out and replaced with professional systems becuse people were disgusted by the poor DIY performance

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Yep they do, and you have to speak Alarmish, a sub-dialect of 'Glish. They're not written for DIYers.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

They are not written for anybody who knows how to read and also trusts what they read:

Installer code User code Default code Master code

In the manuals that I am trying to read, all of the above appear with no definitions and are obviously used inappropriately, in some cases. Trying to program something as simple as time and date becomes a mind-bending experience. Not because it needs to be ... it's because the hacks who wrote the manuals don't themselves understand the terms that they are using, or perhaps are semi-clever agents dedicated to the demise of DIYs.

I used to think this sort of thing was only endemic among offshore products designed and built by other than English speaking engineers. Now, I have a whole new perspective on this issue.

I know, I know ... this "stuff" is intended for professional installers and they just enjoy the hell out of DIYs hanging out here, twisting in the wind. My tenacity will prevail, in any case.

Maybe I'll put up a website and further illuminate this extremely dark corridor of consumer electronics in the good ole yew ess of aay.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Sir, following are some easy to understand definitions of the four code types you mention:

Installer code

This is the code which is used only to enter "low level programming". This is the programming which defines how your panel operates, communicates, and is used also to define how each type of zone is to operate (instant, entry/exit, follow etc). In summary, this code is used by the system installer to change the default panel settings to ones which define in total how your alarm panel works. This code is always changed by your installing company to one of their own, in order to limit those who may access the settings in your panel which can affect it's ability to function properly.

User code

This is a code which is used to arm and disarm the system. It may or may not be set up to do other things like bypass certain zones on the system.

Default Code

This usually refers to the code that is hard programmed in to the panel when it is either new off the shelf, or has been hardware defaulted back to factory specifications. It often is identical to the model of the panel in question, but not always.

Master code

This is the code which has a higher function than the other user codes. It can arm and disarm the system AND is the code that you MUST use to enter user level programming for the purposes of adding, deleting or simply changing the balance of the user codes.

Those who write the manuals are usually engineering or technical types, and often the end results reflect their "mind think". Writing user manuals is a distinct skill that a lot of companies gloss over. Poorly written manuals are the result !!

Hope that helps

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I agree. I've been doing this stuff for almost 25 years and sometimes I have to read the manual over and over again...and then STILL have to call tech support --- who speak with a decidely off-shore accent. Its frustrating at times, but its good when you get it right.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you are talking about Ademco that off-shore accent is Tennesee, I can understand the confusion :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's what you get for installing Ademcrap..... :-)) hee hee

Reply to
Russell Brill

For the most part the installation manuals are written for their main customer base which is the professional installer and as such they assume that the reader has a basic understanding of alarm systems and of the terminology used in the industry, its not a conspiracy to cause the demise of DIYs or anything other that the desire to tailor the manual to their target audience. I personally don't want to read a beginners guide to alarm systems when I read the an installation manual any more than an auto mechanic wants to read a Dummy's Guide to Automobile Engines when all he wants to know is the torque wrench figures for the main bearings or how far to advance the timing.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

There's Press Option #2 now...and they speak english on that one.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Ademco is not a large percentage of my installs...and ya know I've never really had problems with their stuff..at least the few models that I do use.

But having said that...at least Ademco stuff easier to program than NappyKO :-)

As far as programming goes though, nothing beats DMP for ease of programming...sheesh it's like using an ATM machine just answer questions in english. Panel of choice for this AARP installer.

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hi Crash,

You're right, Napco is hard to program... But, it will do just about anything I want it to, and the price is reasonable... I'd like to try DMP, but they don't sell to the little guy here in Northern CA, you have to be a Big Co....

Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Ademco might be easier to program, but the Napco is so much more versatile. More features make for more programming. As for me, I would rather be able to configure a panel the way my customer wants to use it than be held to a more restricted panel.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Im a little guy...but also an old timer. Could be there are too many dmp dealers in your particular area too...they try not to overcrowd and area - sorta a protected area in a very loose sense.

| > But having said that...at least Ademco stuff easier to program than | > NappyKO | > :-) | >

| > As far as programming goes though, nothing beats DMP for ease of | > programming...sheesh it's like using an ATM machine just answer questions | > in | > english. Panel of choice for this AARP installer. | >

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

SNIP

It certainly does. I printed it. Wish I had that a week ago! Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Like what features?

| > But having said that...at least Ademco stuff easier to program than | > NappyKO | > :-) | >

| > As far as programming goes though, nothing beats DMP for ease of | > programming...sheesh it's like using an ATM machine just answer questions | > in | > english. Panel of choice for this AARP installer. | >

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I can't think of any, each panel has its own strengths and weaknesses however Ademco is far easier to program

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm witchya on that. I was just curious as to what Allan meant. A lot of times clients *think* they want some feature and then end up never ever never using it.

| >

| > | > But having said that...at least Ademco stuff easier to program than | > | > NappyKO | > | > :-) | > | >

| > | > As far as programming goes though, nothing beats DMP for ease of | > | > programming...sheesh it's like using an ATM machine just answer | > questions | > | > in | > | > english. Panel of choice for this AARP installer. | > | >

| > | >

| > | > | >

| > | > | >

| > | > | | > | > | | > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash,

Napco has 62 zone options, each selectable on a zone by zone basis. There are also a complete set of partition options, system wide options, user options, advanced scheduling, remote control of the system and system control of up to 64 relays, X10 outputs, etc.

Depending on which model you select, Napco offers a lot of power. Their P9600 is definitely the most configurable alarm panel on the market.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Welp, since I was talking about Vista 15/20P lets compare the same size/price panels. I use another brand for my large jobs which goes to 256 zones and 8 partitions - which I'd never switch to another brand.

So lets talk about Napco vs Ademco on the small stuff - and with commonly requested options.

How many residential users acutally use scheduling? I have close to 3500 systems out there an I don't think 20 of them have scheduling being used.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.