Dear "Well Known National Alarm Company":

The ULC certificated system you installed two years ago at this grade school was bogus. The fact that you certified the system was nothing more than a money grab. Here is a list of deficiencies we found (and corrected) when we took over the system:

1. A plug-in transformer is not allowed.

1. ULC requires a dedicated circuit for the alarm communicator. It can't be "shared" with a Nortel Networks telephone system or a Telus supplied ADSL Modem.

2. ULC requires that the primary telephone line must be dedicated to the fire alarm communicator. It can not be "shared" with the customer's ADSL Modem and most definitely must seize the line ahead of the modem.

1. The Power 832 (your Focus 32) panel must have two 7AH batteries connected to the battery harness to meet the requirements of the ULC listing.

2. You can not under any circumstances circumvent the lightning arrestor at the DMARC/Protector.

1. All wiring to the communicator cabinet must be either armoured or run in conduit. This includes the wiring to the keypad.

2. The ULC certificate has space for five scheduled inspections. The certificate was issued in 2006 and should be valid until 2011. The first "inspection" was signed off one month after installation. The last one was signed off less than two weeks ago. I hesitate to post what you charged the customer for each of these "inspections". What were you going to do "next year"? Sign off on the back of the certificate??

1. You should teach your technicians to recognize a PROPER ULC installation. The fact that four separate techs signed off on this sham just boggles the mind.

2. The Mircom 1000 has independent outputs for sprinkler supervisory. The supervisory and trouble contacts do not activate together (simultaneously). ULC requires that you monitor the supervisory output (as does the local authority). For the last two years a latching tamper (generated by someone that's just turned off the water) would never have registered with your CS.

1. If you're going to use a dual line digital communicator, the telephone lines must be installed in accordance with NFPA 72. And you definitely cannot run both lines in a single eight conductor CAT3 cable. When you have all the lines entering through the same conduit, an alternate means of communication must be provided. Typically this is done by either an RF transceiver or ULC listed cellular communicator.

You've done your customer a huge disservice and grossly overcharged them for the last two and a half years. You should be ashamed!!

PS. Your equipment has been neatly boxed and is located behind the office counter. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Sincerely Frank Olson

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Correct.

Depending on the year it was installed. I believe it 's only until recent years that a dedicated circuit is required for the communicator.

Dedicated phone line is not required, as far as I know.

Correct.

Correct, but nothing to do with ULC requirement.

Correct.

Hmmmm, no idea there.

Agree 100%.

Correct.

I have to disagree with you here. How far are you willing to carry the different path approach ? As far back as the manhole from the street ? But pretty soon dual line comm will be history anyway, so no point arguing further. I am not a big fan of digital communicator only for fire alarm system anyway, so the sooner it goes away, the happier I am.

That's very nice of you, and no I don't work for them.

Reply to
A.J.

Did I say 2006??

For the "primary line" in this jurisdiction it is. ULC "defaults" to the jurisdiction.

The certificate calls for annual inspections.

Considering the occupancy, I'd say as far as is necessary to achieve the maximum benefit. In this case two separate technologies will be used. A hard line (POTS) and GSM.

Either end of the building/structure.

I couldn't agree more.

Didn't think you did...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Actually this applies to the central station, not the monitored premises... My bad. Be that as it may, I've always been nervous employing a dual line communicator. I've seen "hatchet jobs" on more than one main incoming drop.

Reply to
Frank Olson

right, next you'll be saying you flew upside down while selling insurance. ;)

Reply to
Bob

Heh...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.