Crowding the Interesection DOES NOT get you out there any faster...

I do it frequently, I've even been known to laugh at myself on occasions

You mean it has training wheels?

I wish you well on that front.

The long leisurely rides don't seem funny to me, trying to sound like something your not coupled with your own self depreciating image of yourself is what I found amusing, but if long leisurely rides on your Burgman are not interesting, why not take your own advice and do something more interesting.?

Doug

Reply to
Doug
Loading thread data ...

Thanks. I'm very hopeful. The odds are in my favor but not by as much of a margin as I'd like.

There's nothing self-deprecating about recognizing that I'm over weight and going bald. That's just realism. You may wish to think I try to appear something else (perhaps it makes it easier to fit me into what you think of me) but you're wrong. I'm quite self-confident. I know my strengths and my weaknesses well -- much better than you might imagine. I also happen to be pretty content with who I am. My life is good. I enjoy freedom to travel when and where I want. I live in a comfortable home with a loving wife. My business is successful enough that we're secure now and for the future.

The cancer was, as I said before, an eye-opener. But it's not going to stop me or even slow me down much (now that the chemo is over). About the only thing that's different is I decided I don't want to fight. You may have noticed I've let a few of your comments slide. There's no promise and no apology (it isn't deserved) here. Do whatever you want. I'll say more later. Right now I'm off to my favorite cappuccino joint while it's still warm enough to ride. Tchau.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert L Bass inspired greatness with:

I drove a 125cc scooter years ago and had a blast. It seems like you're going faster because it takes off so quickly and there is hardly any noise from the engine. I saw a guy on IH-45 riding one of the big ones like yours and I wouldn't muster the balls to ride it like that on the Interstate, but it must be a nice feeling to know it can.

Reply to
Cam-man

I have a little Yamaha 125 machine that I ride in Brazil. They are indeed a lot of fun. Riding there is much more challenging than here (well, it is for me anyway), but it's a blast anyway.

It doesn't require any special bravado to ride on the interstate. I don't know for certain but I suspect you're more likely to get hurt in town than on the highway. The Burgman is heavier and faster by far than a 125cc scooter but it's actually quite nimble. It took a little getting used to but now I'm comfortable riding it.

If you get a chance, rent one of the 400cc Burgmans from a dealer for a weekend sometime. You'll be surprised how quickly you can master it. After all, it isn't rocket science. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In New York law says hand's free cell phone use only.

When the law was first passed, summons were being issued all over the place. So some people went out and bought hands free accessories. Now ..... you even see cops riding by, using their cell phones while driving. Only time you'll get a summons now is if you're blatantly caught using it by a cop or if you have an accident while using it.

So ..... all it amounts to is ...... they simply passed a law and nobody showed up to obey it.

Reply to
Jim

Interstate Hiway's are scary... try the I95 near Jacksonville or better yet the I75 near St Petes, Mr. Bass, I think thats your neck of the woods..I find those roads scarry.. especially at trafic hour Friday afternoons on or near the Sunshine bridge. I remember once comming out of Homestead (near aligator alley) wherein a latin fellow driving what I would call a Jaloppy (to him a Cadilllac) his fender came clean off and hit my front end of the bike. The impact made the bike come clear off the ground. (Now I don't ride a little bike, use to but grew up and got a man's bike.. ha ha , Vulcan

1500, dry weight ~863lbs give or take without my carcass on it.) I could have sworn(well I did) that I had bought the farm that afternnon. Walked away cleanly, Tire was warped but rim appear OK but had it changed regardless..Somewhere in the post I heard someone mentioning the use of the term Cager... well it mean being in a cage were you are protected from the elements and road debris. The term is widely used by all biker new or novice.. it's the lingo, nothing to do with trying to be perceived as a biker..A Biker is someone that enjoys the freedom of the road the wind in your hair (for those that are still bleased to have any) and the excileration that come from not being CAGED.. And to a lucky few whom have the added luxery to follow the road to where ever it may lead them...and not have to worry about the 9 to 5..That a Biker..

Pogo P/T Cager and P/T Biker.. Florida bound this Friday... beware you cagers on the I95, I'm bringin SNOWBALLS... Yee HAw

Reply to
Pogo

Jim inspired greatness with:

The problem is not holding the handset......

When you are engaged in a conversation on the phone, you are not devoting your attention to driving. NY missed the point, even though well intentioned. There have been many studies done on this -- it's not the act of physically holding the phone, (or WORSE dialing, pressing buttons)..... it's the FACT that the DRIVERS attention is diverted from the task of DRIVING.

Company policy should dictate NO DRIVING WHILE ON THE PHONE!

Driving is a full-time job! This is not the time to make up hours in the office. If you want to make drive time productive listen to a tape, and don't take notes.

Reply to
Cam-man

"BTW, I was feeling better yesterday so I road over to Bike Week (well, for me it was just Bike Day) in Daytona. That was one heck of a display of impressive looking bikes. Everyone was friendly even to an aging, bald ex-hippy on a scooter".

I thought that was you I saw.........

an aging, ex-hippy on an Ultra Classic..........

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

You might want to see an eye doctor. I don't own an Ultra Classic.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The Sharks Lounge.. Hum must try that DIVE. There is no shortage of trouble to get into at Bike week, that's probably why I try to avoid it. As the T-Shirt says, been there done that. I'm fortunate in that I get to leave my bike down south and try to escape 3 or 4 times per seasong to ride for a few days. My dream has always been to get on the bike for a month or so and do the run from Canada to Florida then onto Baja Calif. then back up o Wash state then into British Columbia and then return through the prairies. I missed out 30 years ago, wife, kids and mortgage... glad you got to follow your road even thought it was in a car it must have been grand. Strange how we travel the world and some of the most interesting sites are in our own backyard.. I may take my dream ride yet.. work being what it is and three grown Teenagers rebounding back home I may have to ask my boys to take this run with my ASHES if I wait any longer ha ha .. P.S. on the lounge topic. check out "Grills" and "Fish Lip" at port Canaveral..for a fun time, though there are no shortages of lounges in Florida those are two of my favorites.

Pogo

Reply to
Pogo

Hehhehheh. It's not someplace I'd want to go back. I thought it was just going to be music and beer. Oops! :^)

It was fun. I didn't see any trouble but the night was young when I left -- had to work in the morning.

I hope you've got a really comfy seat on that bike. That's a heck of a lot of riding. The round trip to Daytona Beach was ~400 miles in one day and that was plenty for me. In a car or motor home I can do twice that without getting too tired.

I've had some terrific experiences over the years. I've even thought about writing a book some day. Several folks from this newsgroup would probably buy a copy. :^)

I hope you do. You get shot at this life. It's important to fulfill your dreams while you can.

My boys are grown, both college grads. One is an engineer. The other is in business. Both really think they've "been there." I'm twice their age and just beginning to learn about the world. As much as I've travelled in the Americas, I've never been to Europe. Soooo, next year my wife and I plan to go to Paris, Rome and Venice. Angela knows her way around Europe like I do the USA. We'll have a lot of fun. It's just another dream to fulfill. We may rent a bike to tour Italy -- dunno yet.

Next time perhaps. In a couple of days I'm heading to Orlando for EH Expo. BTW, if you're ever in O, check out Charley's Steak House on International Drive a short ride from the Orange County Convention Center. Their steaks are among the best in the land. I went there with "Uncle" Phil of CHA fame a few years ago and it was out of this world.

If you ever make it down to Sarasota, ring me up. I know a few great rides around here.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I was channel surfing one night and stopped on that Mythbuster program. They were doing driving tests under normal conditions and then while someone was on the other end of their cell phone asking them questions that required doing some calculations and asking them to remember sequences of words and other things requiring their attention. Everyone tested did worse on the driving test. The men did better than the women but none of them did as good as before. It had nothing to do with the button pushing. Just attention diverting thought.

Reply to
Jim

And that's why I just hate Summer... Too many "attention diverting" babes... Forget about the cellphones!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Many years ago, while looking at my favorite attributes of women, it occured to me how fortunate it is that men appropriately have two eyes.

Reply to
Jim

He may have seen you "try one on for size"... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Nope. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

ah, now i get it. tnx

| Bass Home Electronics | 941-925-8650 | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I need to spend more time fishing and less time working. First I need a few days with a bazooka to reduce the population of PWCs and wakeboard boats though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Many years ago, while looking at my favorite attributes of women, it occured to me how fortunate it is that men appropriately have two eyes.

I just want to see if they're ticklish or not. I always offer two test tickles.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Roland Moore inspired greatness with:

One in the front, one in the back. If all else fails, go for the top.

Reply to
Cam-man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.