Are there faster waps than dwl2100AP

`Subject: Are there faster waps than dwl2100AP'

Something of a lamer question on the subject line I guess, but with zero knowledge about wireless networking... digging up that kind of information can really be daunting.... no idea what to search for or how to determine what is possible with current wireless technology. There is so much information available... I'm lost as to how to find specific information.

My DWL 2100 AP is a few yrs old.. probably 3 or there abouts. The most recent firmware doesn't work for me, but 1 version older (Version 2.11) works so I use that firmware.

I wondered if there are waps available now that offer higher speeds. That is, if there are newer wireless protocols or whatever that allow faster data transfer... something that my older dwl2100ap may not be capable of?

My home lan network is pretty basic:

Internet => cable modem => netgear(FVS318) firewall/router

Six machines are wired by ethernet to the router, and 1 wap (dwl2100AP)

Less network intensive things like plain browsing seem pretty normal, or fairly comparable to wired segments of the home lan, but certain kinds of network intensive activety seem barely possible with my current setup. Something like vnc connections are almost intolerably slow over the wireless segment.

In other words, pulling a whole gui desktop from remote host across the wireless segment is very annoyingly slow. But not so on the wired segments.

Reply to
Harry Putnam
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Harry Putnam chose the tried and tested strategy of:

This may be due to latency rather than throughput. What sort of ping times are you seeing wiredwireless? Try a speed test with iperf. Best I've ever seen on 802.11G is about 22Mbps. With 11N I've seen 60Mbps. Remember that Wifi is half duplex so turning off P2P [for example] on a machine you're trying to VNC to over wireless maybe improve things.

Reply to
alexd

Any of the wireless routers listed can be used as an access point:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Could you please elaborate on this line?

May need to use crossover type cable.

... referring to the ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router/accesspoint.

Or, if there is something in the wiki about that crossover business, start me in the right direction. That is, I know what a crossover cable is; I just don't know how this maybe, maybe not, works in this application.

Reply to
Mike Easter

There is usually no need for a crossover cable -- most ports these days are self-configuring -- so try it first, just get a cheap crossover cable if the port won't enable otherwise.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks.

Let me carry that logic one step further.

If the typical router is so smart about sensing what kind of ethernet (crossover vs normal) is connected to it and 'switch'/reverse itself accordingly, does that mean that the typical modern router - functioning as a router - could be connected to a computer on its LAN by a /crossover/ cable instead of a normal cable and the router/switch would be able to figure that out and adjust accordingly?

Or am I misunderstanding something about how one might use (either) a cable or a crossover cable in the example of the LAN port of a router functioning as an accesspoint?

Reply to
Mike Easter

It's usually in the port chip.

It will probably work, depending on the hardware at both ends.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm not into complex and elaborate. Mind if I simplify on this line?

Yep. When you connect a switch or hub to another switch or hub, you run a chance that the wiring ends up with the tx (transmit) talking to the tx and the rx (receive) talking to the rx. That won't work. With

10baseT, tx goes to rx on both pairs of wires. To make this happen, you can use a crossover cable:

a crossover adapter, or you might be lucky and own a switch or router that has "autopolarity" switching on the ethernet ports. Some routers and switches also have a switch labeled MDI/MDX which switched one port to crossover. Lots of ways to make it happen.

However, you do it, look at the lights on the front of the router or switch. If you plug in both ends of a cable, the corresponding lights on both sides MUST light up.

Switches and hub ethernet ports, are wired to talk directly to the ethernet port on a LAN card as found in a typical PC or laptop. They're not really made to talk to each other, as I mentioned above. A crossover cable allows them to talk to each other.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.