Wireless - who's out there?

A laptop connected to my router (D-Link G604T) by wireless can 'see' who is out there. But since my pc is connected by cable to the router, I can't.

Is there any software/freeware that I can add to my pc, that'll add that functionality? If so, what?

Reply to
Roy Hammond
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:14:34 -0000, "Roy Hammond" wrote in :

What exactly do you mean by "see"? Out where?

What functionality?

Reply to
John Navas

Methinks he wants to be able to do a wireless site survey using a PC whose only network hardware is a wired connection to a wireless router.

Reply to
Mike S.

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:35:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote in :

If so, DD-WRT is one answer, Kismet another.

Reply to
John Navas

First, try disconnecting the cable. Generally there is preference given to the wired connection. If it is not available, then the pc uses wireless.

If that fails, try disconnecting and disabling the wired network card.

If you post the results of those steps, the solution may be quite easy to find. Also, post the results of what wireless networks your pc can 'see'.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

John and Mike

You've got it, Mike. I didn't know the 'correct' terminology. I'll have a look for DD-WRT and Kismet. I'll get back to this forum if they don't lead me to a suitable solution. Thanks John.

Regards Roy

Reply to
Roy Hammond

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.