54Mbps - Any faster?

My Laptop will connect at - 54Mbps. This is its maximum. Is this the same for everyone else or are people now getting 100Mbps wireless cards?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Try 300Mbps Dlink N router and USB Client.

Reply to
TeddyBare

I picked up an N router (DG834N) today, i will have alook around for a usb client. thanks

Reply to
Mike

Unless things have changed in the UK recently, you won't get 300Mbps. Max will be approx half that 144Mbps - something to do with frequency?

I have a Netgear N series and in the USA it will do 300MBps, but UK is limited to 144

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Hi,

As I put my cursor over the connection icon and read "Speed: 108Mbps", I can only laugh. The actual speed is probably somewhere between 35 and 45 Mbps. As others have already said, your true speed is much less than the advertised speed when it comes to wireless. My WLAN is all 802.11a, using mainly DLink stuff.

What is the main traffic that you are piping? Internet or WLAN file transfers? If all you mainly use your pipe for is internet traffic then unless you have a T2 or greater, your "54Mbps" pipe is plenty fat...

As I get more into media sharing around the house, I may go for the 300Mbps N stuff down the road, but for now it doesn't warrant the occassional video streaming to the TV in the living room. (Which does work fine now for standard definition. Down the road will probably start wanting to stream high definition video though.)

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.