Church told to hang own fire panel

In the case of our church cost was not the issue. I donated the alarm system. The point is that many such institutions have plenty of technically knowledgeable people who can do for the church that for which a private company might charge three or four times the cost of the materials. This isn't meant to fault alarm dealers. They need to make a profit from their labors. However, they don't have a *right* to insist that no one but they do alarm work.

Until you've been involved in church work you wouldn't understand. By the way, by "on staff" I did not mean to imply "on salary." In our case these were volunteer staff. We had over 100 people working at any given time but only a few were paid employees. This is quite common among growing, modern churches.

This isn't the main point though. The real issue is whether anyone except a paid alarm installer can or should install an alarm system. For several decades I've proven that laymen can successfully install their own security and fire alarm systems. This includes commercial as well as residential systems. You guys can argue and nitpick all you like but it won't change the fact that DIY is a valid and growing portion of the electronic security business.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Yep. That is true. I gwt calls about defective products as often as paid installers do. Every so often something is bad out of the box. That's what warranty service (typically, an advance replacement from the distributor) is for.

Huh? Are you saying the keypad won't work with the panel until you upgrade the panel firmware? If so, that brings up a neat coincidence. Tonight I walked a client through upgrading the firmware on his Napco Gemini system. He's non-technical so it took some coaching over the phone but he got it done ok. This was aboout the 30th DIYer in the last couple of months to upgrade Gemini firmware.

The DIYer doesn't need to speak to the manufacturer. That's my job. Napco doesn't have the manpower to coach hundreds of DIY customers. Instead, they explain to us in the trade and we teach our customers. I've been a Napco dealer for more than 25 years and have never had trouble getting tech support.

I'm not sure to what immaturity your referring but the fire alarm industry has been around since 1852. That was 155 years ago last month. Is that "mature" enough for you? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'll send flowers. What was his name?

Best you give this one up, Pete. No one believes you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have been involced with church work. i was on the building comittee for my church. We wisely involved a professional architect to design it rather than use someone from inside the church. we ended up with a better building than we would have had otherwise. And there were plenty of capable people in the church to call on. we just felt that to get the best job done we should go with a professional that dealt with our type job on a regular basis.

Reply to
Tommy

"Robert L Bass" wrote in news:ZeednUL7yvN_U87bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm curious as to why you think the rep would not work on the weekend never had to deal with Edwards, but i have dealt with others. To get any factory person to work the weekend, all it takes is time and money. if you put out the money they will put in the time. It happens all the time. Petem's situation as he has told would be a textbook case for a factory tech to be working from "can to can't"

Reply to
Tommy

Well speaking of yesterday it was trying to replace a keypad on a Vista 50 panel. It has 6 partitions. The "1" digit was sticking so in true DIY tradition the END USER took it on himself to swap keypads from one area to the other. Of course he didn't re-address the keypads and nothing worked. We assumed that he needed new keypads when he lied about the symptoms on the first call for service and since the older 6139 aren't available at ADI we used the factory recommended replacement of a 6160. Well the 6160 doesn't actually work with that older Vista 50 panel without a (otherwise free) upgrade chip (that turns it into a 50P) and must be re-downloaded etc, etc. It is nothing to get too upset about, it is typical Ademco junk with typical Ademco junk problems. Right after that there was a different problem on a new installation using a Secure Wireless FOB kit with a PC1832. Following the instructions got no results. A call to the factory revealed that the toll free number on the literature was incorrect and the instructions were "out of date". It omitted several critical steps necessary to getting the receiver to function. There was no web link or simple remedy. If factory tech support wasn't available then there would be no remedy. That is just one typical day in the business. That what I mean by a "mature enough industry". Many manufacturers don't spend the time necessary to refine the product installation instructions and change and revise product versions at the drop of a hat. If you're not familiar with the product and don't have factory tech support then trying it on your own can cause plenty of frustration.

"Robert L Bass" wrote in message news:wKadnZOJifwmWc7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Just Looking

Putting a system on fire watch is expensive, especially around here. I have seen contractors that love to push and cut corners get whacked hard.

de

Reply to
Just Looking

That is totally different from alarm work. Architecture is a profession. Alarm installing is a trade and a relatively simple one at that.

Without an architect to design it you probably wouldn't have built anything at all. However, there are architectural firms that offer standardized church plans for people who don't want to pay for a custom design.

The same would apply if you needed cancer surgery. You would hire a doctor -- not do it yourself. OTOH, if all you had was a splinter you'd DIY it like everyone else does.

Alarm installation is to architecture as splinter removal is to surgery.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have dealt with Edwards. In fact, they hired my company to design software for the FireShield series of fire alarm control panels.

To understand the other side of this you need to know a little about how Petem, Olson and a few others "debate" in ASA. They make up absurd stories to "prove" their absurd points. It's SOP. Petem is no more nor less dishonest than the rest. He's just less intelligent.

It was easier and cheaper to just make it up and pretend it proved his point.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" wrote in news:ud-dnclMafr5JMnbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I don't agree. You are entitled to your opinion as i am mine. Proper design and implementation of a security system is a profession.

any one could buy a simple home planning software from walmart and print off a set of house plans. It's not rocket sience. :) they might even be happy with the way it looks when it's done. But was it done to code? will the AHJ sign off on a coo?

There is always a need for the professionals, and there will always be those who want to DIY.Sometimes it is better to let the pro's do what they do. Especially when you are talking about a life safety system. I would not want to take that liability on from a DIY standpoint. I belive that there are people with the necessary skills to put in an alarm system, but not everyone has them, not even with a couple of hours of phone support.:)

Reply to
Tommy
"

I have lurked for a couple of years, so i have seen the little girl slap fight ya'll have every so often.

I have worked in the industrial world longer than i have the alarm business, so i have dealt with a lot of companies and factory reps.

If Edwards is like most other companies, with large dollars comes big concessions. If you want a factory rep on weekend nights and arewillling to pay the travel and labor. they will be there. espiaclly if the want to keep selling large jobs.

Like i said before all it takes is time and money.

Reply to
Tommy

But but RLB sez it ain't rocket science! Therefore you must be lying

BTW what was the critical steps getting the fob kit to work with the 1832? I should think it would be similar to a 5010/1555 installation

Reply to
Mark Leuck

And then of course there's you who lies to end users dupes them into buying from you so that you can "guide" them into installing systems of unknown quality or reliability.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
Jim

I think it probably is the same for the EV-REC1 on those panels. Since we can't get the non CP-01 panels anymore I will never find out for certain. However I am used to a 5132 and programming it through the software and not using the Secure Wireless approach. The sales guy picked this unit for price and because it was only being used for the FOB, not any wireless zones. Although the Secure Wireless appears in the DSC software as a 5132, it doesn't actually enroll as a module and it can't be programmed with DLS software as you probably know. So there are these goofy instructions about picking 3 user codes and entering them and such but there are three steps (probably the same ones as in a 1555 or 5010) that need to change in the panel that simply weren't mentioned in the instructions. I think it was a panic zones changes, etc. etc. The factory said we have old instructions. The manufacturing date says otherwise. In any case you can see the web site is no help to get the latest instructions.

formatting link
tech never offered to email us the "correct" latest instructions for the PC1832, but his verbal instructions got it to work.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Which is basically what I (and Pete) said... But Bass has a Bone to pick with some of the regulars here... So, he'll keep "pickin'"... This, of course, doesn't mean he wants to fight. His new "method" involves what I call "hit and ignore"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: ZeednUL7yvN_U87bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

No you don't believe me

What I find most interesting in this commentary of your is that you think that what you say here is what every one think...

Come on bAss you are not and will never be the spirit of this group...

Reply to
Petem

Correct. No one else capable of thought does either.

what you say here is what every one think...

Naah. Those incapable of thought might believe anything you make up as long as it's anti-DIY.

This is a newsgroup. It doesn't have a spirit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: kOCdnX-pWdEvJ8nbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Ok fatso you wanted to know,well here it come

First I,ve been working for Protectron In St_Leonard for the last 14 years..

There address used to be 9120 Pascal-Gagnon In St-Leonard

Now its 8481 Langelier Again In St-Leonard

you can call there and ask about Pierre Martel..if you cant figure it out that's me. Pete for Pierre And M for Martel..

My email address at the office

pierre.martel @ protectron.com

you can check there web site,but be careful you could fall on some French page..and that could disturb you and some of the more obtuse here...

by the way you wont be able to mess with what my boss think of me...cause he knows about what I post here... And he wont loose his time with looser like you...

just a little note we are part of UE Waterheater Income Fund ,witch bought Voxcom a few week ago..this will add another central to our the 4 we allre4ady have in Canada...St-Leonard(Montreal),Quebec,Ottawa and Vancouver

hope you will have fun trying to figure out some stuff...

but be careful..its not because I gave here my personal information that I wont react if you try to put my name in dirt...its not because I am not in the USA that I wont sue you...

Reply to
Petem

"Just Looking" a écrit dans le message de news:

465480fb$0$9947$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Well,the contractor will receive a heavy bill for the security guard...

the Edwards rep(now GE security) gave the all ok flag yesterday,I got the ok to plug my electromagnet today,and made a few test just to be sure...

Reply to
Petem

Am I supposed to care who you work for?

Nicer neighborhood?

And you figure this is important to me because...???

The pages jump from left to center when you click some of the links. It looks like someone threw it together pretty quickly. Also, the use of locked table sizes makes the text difficult to read at anything other than the original (very small) type sizes.

We had a congressman who fell on a few pages.

I'm not a francophobe. You're confusing me with another obtuse poster.

I've no reason to try to harm you.

That's "loser," not "looser."

Canada...St-Leonard(Montreal),

Your company protects a waterheater company? How impressive.

Which stuff, the water heater outfit or the central stations?

Oh, ok. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.