CCTV Cameras

LOL, but what an easy task it would be...

Reply to
Jackcsg
Loading thread data ...

I'm talking about the high-end of the video market: Securing airports, seaports, military bases, sesnitive government buildings, nuclear facilities, etc. The technology used in these applications is different than what you know and use.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Twisted pair is just another way of transmitting analog video signals. What I'm talking about is manipulating digital video. Once video signals are encoded at the camera level, they can be transmitted like any other type of network data. They can be viewed, recorded, manipulated, played back, etc at many different sites and in many different ways. Virtual switches, muxes, and viewing workstations mean IP video is much more flexible and powerful that analog. Don't worry, you'll learn about this stuff soon enough.

DVRs are not 100% flexible in the way I'm talking about. With traditional DVR's you are limited by the location of the equipment. IP based systems allow you to record video anywhere on the network, at multiple sites on the network. You can view and control any or all cameras with a workstation located anywhere in real time. You can even decode the video signals back to analog and process them using traditional switches, muxes, DVR's, and monitors for legacy applications.

You're right in the limted world you know. The customers I'm talking about have gigabit networks. Bandwidth is the biggest challenge.

Any common DVR can be connected to and used to view the cameras that are connected to it remotely. However, true IP video allows each viewing to connect directly to individual cameras and to manipulate the video in ways not possible with traditional DVRs.

Wrong. The best wireless stuff out there is more reliable than all but the most hardened cabled installations. With wireless, you can create redundant signal paths. IP video also allows you to record at the edge with remote video recorders, so if transmission is cut with the NVRs, you still have recording that is buffered and transmitted as soon as connectivity is restored.

I spend enough time on the interent already without joining a web based CCTV forum. Btw, this is a newsgroup, not a forum, and CCTV is certainly on-topic here since it's the fastest growing segment of our industry.

Here's two real world examples of the use of wireless CCTV where cabled systems proved to be far too costly to implement or the customer liked the flexibility that wireless can provide:

Case Study: Port of Oakland

Addressing America's Seaports

Situation After September 11th, the federal government declared port security an even higher priority and hurried to make funds available for security system upgrades. The Port of Oakland, one of the nation's strategic seaports, was among the first to receive security grants to improve the security of its facilities. In addition, several port tenants also received grants to support security enhancements to specific terminals or tenant security programs. The Port is made up of seven active container terminals and two intermodal rail facilities that move nearly 23 million metric revenue tons of food and materials between the United States and its international trading partners, Hawaii and U.S. Trust Territories.

Solution The Port of Oakland received proposals from contractors nationwide, with bids ranging from a low of $10.9 million to a high of nearly $22 million, significantly above its available budget. In April 2003, the Port of Oakland signed a $4.75 million maritime security enhancement contract with ADT® Security Services, Inc. To meet the security needs within the established budget, ADT developed an integrated security solution including automated access control, video surveillance, perimeter intrusion detection and an integrated communications infrastructure. Not only would ADT be providing the security systems, the team would be responsible for system maintenance, electronic access control enhancements and other sole source system expansions. The proposed system met all of the Federal Homeland Security criteria and commenced implementation shortly thereafter.

Implementation ADT recruited Tyco sister company, Earth Tech, an industry leader and global provider of engineering, architecture, environmental, infrastructure development and facility operation services, to perform all of the construction management tasks. The team analyzed requirements and eliminated 31 miles of trenching through the use of an encrypted wireless network. This system schedule would save the Port millions of dollars in labor and expenses and reduce the possibility of terminal operation disruption during the installation process.

Results The new baseline security management system includes firewalls, password-protected commands and control capabilities through a remote web-enabled management system for Port terminals. The integrated system will help ensure secure and fast communication among a variety of agencies in the event of an emergency. "Maintaining the safety and security of Port workers and visitors, and the integrity of our seaport operations are of paramount importance," said Tay Yoshitani, executive director of the Port of Oakland. "This contract provides us an exciting opportunity to harness ADT's renowned experience and professionalism and the latest technologies available to deliver a superior integrated security operation at our maritime terminals."

Here's another:

ADT to Design and Install Video Intrusion Detection System at Boston's Logan International Airport

BOCA RATON, Fla., May 3 /PRNewswire/ -- ADT Security Services Inc., a unit of Tyco Fire & Security, today announced it was awarded the contract to provide a video intrusion detection and reporting system at Boston's Logan International Airport and other properties operated by the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport). The system will help monitor Massport's waterfront perimeter.

The contract calls for the installation of sensor devices to detect perimeter movement, automated surveillance software from Atlanta-based VistaScape Security Systems, a wireless network and continuing system maintenance. Work on the project will begin immediately.

"We were looking for a security solution that could seamlessly integrate the best of the proven security products on the market into one comprehensive system," said Dennis Treece, director of corporate security for the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates Logan International. "We were happy to select ADT and VistaScape to meet this challenge."

The system to be installed by ADT is capable of detecting intruders at night and during poor weather conditions. The detection devices will be integrated with VistaScape's SiteIQ(TM) automated surveillance software, which will automatically trigger an audible alarm when violations of security rules, such as movement in restricted areas, are detected. The automated surveillance software provides full-time monitoring of incoming video signals, improving the performance of on-site security personnel and permitting them to extend their coverage to other areas of concern.

The completed system will also feature a wireless network that can give Massport security staff firewalled, secure command and control capabilities through a wireless, Web-enabled remote management system.

Paul Brisgone, director of National Government Sales for ADT's Federal Systems Division, said that before beginning field work at Logan, ADT created a working model of the system in a laboratory environment to minimize complications encountered on-site to help find solutions prior to installation.

"ADT was able to provide a low-risk, proven solution that incorporated the best security products currently available," Brisgone said.

Joining ADT on the project team as on-site project manager will be another Tyco International unit, Earth Tech Inc. Previously, ADT and Earth Tech teamed up to design and install a $4.75 million maritime security enhancement project at the Port of Oakland.

Currently, ADT, through its Federal Systems Division, helps secure 19 of the top 30 busiest airports in the United States.

The Massachusetts Port Authority is an independent, financially self- sustaining public authority operating facilities that employ more than

20,000 people and annually generates more than $8 billion in revenue for the region's economy. Logan International Airport is the nation's 18th busiest airport and New England's largest transportation center, serving more than 23 million passengers each year. Logan handles more than 1 billion pounds of high value cargo and mail and employs over 15,000 workers.

Celebrating its 130th anniversary, ADT Security Services, Inc., a unit of Tyco Fire & Security, is the largest provider of electronic security services to more than six million commercial, government and residential customers throughout North America. ADT's total security solutions include intrusion, fire protection, closed circuit television, access control, critical condition monitoring, electronic article surveillance, radio frequency identification (RFID) and integrated systems. ADT's Web site address is

formatting link

Tyco International Ltd. is a global, diversified company that provides vital products and services to customers in five business segments: Fire & Security, Electronics, Healthcare, Engineered Products & Services, and Plastics & Adhesives. With 2004 revenue of $40 billion, Tyco employs approximately 250,000 people worldwide. More information on Tyco can be found at

formatting link

Reply to
J. Sloud

How many million dollar CCTV jobs did you do last year? Then you haven't seen it all yet.

How about better than DVD quality video? Is that degraded?

Post any "reason" you think you have. I'll shoot it down very quickly. The other issue with IP video is bandwidth.

And seaports and airports and t/s government facilities.

Wrong. You can get 4 CIF images at 30 FPS per camera all day long with common IP video products.

Reply to
J. Sloud

yall too funny .. .. ADT is a joke. Now, "email" me an app where you think a DVR system cant be used, and ill spec it out for you - free of charge. :-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

yall just andry cause i throw out the systems you sell them and give them something better for less money :-0

Reply to
cctvbahamas

That's what I'm talking about! You can either push New Technologies.... or be pulled along with them... One will keep you in business

Reply to
Jackcsg

I have an application where I need a Camera on a remote light pole. (1) obviously I need video (2) I need two-way audio (3) I need some alarm input capabilities for a few outdoor Motion Detectors, tamper alarms (4) I need to be able to turn on some 500 watt quartz lights, see the area in the dark, remotely, and/or locally. I need to be able to control these devices both on site, and off across the Internet. Oh, and I need to record ALL video and audio from these locations. Trenching is not an option, it's an asphalt parking lot. The poles are about

200 yards from the building. Also, there are 4 more camera locations located throughout the facility, which need to operate in the same manner. I also need remote monitoring that is false alarm free.

There you go! Put it together for me. 6 cameras total. 2 on poles, and 4 remotely located on different building throughout the facility. They need to have full PTZ capabilities, and offer a night viewing mode .09 lux or better.

Get back to me.... Jack

Reply to
Jackcsg

ADT is a joke? How many 10 million dollar projects have you done? ADT in many respects invented this industry and still has huge influence. Open your eyes my friend. You may learn something. I just gave you two real world scenarios that used wireless point to point and IP backbone communications as well as networked video. If the United State's top security integrators and defense contractors could not come up with a better solution, I doubt you could either. Oakland was handed to ADT because they were the only company who could come close to the customer's homeland security grant amount. ADT won MassPort because they offered the best technology and during testing, it actually did everything it was supposed to. Btw, the total between these two projects is over $15 million, which I assume is a little out of your league.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Easy John. Don't beat up on old Rory. You'd have to narrow it down to 98% of the industry, including ADT (non-Government sectors), and every National. It's an industry wide dilemma. Few can see the potential, even fewer can comprehend the potential. This industry has the ability to make everything easier, faster, more reliable, false alarm free, and cheaper (cost effective). Unfortunately, it's going to take another decade of 80's technology to realize it, as the technology passes most bye. Most of the "Old Dawgs" with their "it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality just aren't paying attention. The fact of the matter is, this 80's mentality has been broke for over thirty years, and damn near since the inception of the Digital Dialer. Most just seem to focus on the sales numbers, not the impact. I ask dealers/competitors/customers this question all the time...

"What's your perception on the impact the security industry has provided over the last 30 years"

It's a question for all to answer, and highly educational.

Jack

Reply to
Jackcsg

"ADT is a joke? How many 10 million dollar projects have you done? ADT in many respects invented this industry and still has huge influence. Open your eyes my friend. You may learn something. I just gave you two real world scenarios that used wireless point to point and IP backbone communications as well as networked video. If the United State's top security integrators and defense contractors could not come up with a better solution, I doubt you could either. Oakland was handed to ADT because they were the only company who could come close to the customer's homeland security grant amount. ADT won MassPort because they offered the best technology and during testing, it actually did everything it was supposed to. Btw, the total between these two projects is over $15 million, which I assume is a little out of your league. "

------------------------------------ I only deal with millionaires. ADT turned down some large jobs that my US colleagues had to take over, which I have consulted on, those same colleagues deal with US Military and Government. Now im talking CCTV and thats all I care about. And nothing is out of my league. I typically get called in when noone else can do it, extreme jobs. I dont deal with distributors, I deal direct with manufacturers, US, Canada, and world wide. So if you want to do IP cams thats fine, there is obviously an industry for it and more power to you, but I deal with CCTV, which can be very high quality and expandable once done correctly, not too mention very stable and secure, and nowadays is blended in with IP surveillance and very advanced.

For Jack please email me the info so I can spec it, not on this newsgroup. Thanks.

PS. who is rory?

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Sorry. There used to be a guy in here from the Bahamas named Rory. Thought you were the same guy... I'd be glad to discuss with you this camera installation. send me an email: jackcsg at Juno dot com

Jack

Reply to
Jackcsg

Jack,

It's an interesting question. Thirty years ago, the electronic security industry was fire and burglar alarms. There was no real CCTV, access control, inventory control, etc. The industry is so diverse now that it's almost impossible for a company, let alone a single person, to be an expert on every faction. I've chosen to concentrate on that part of the business that I enjoy and that I feel affects the most people in a positive way. We're involved in cutting edge technology and the real world application of such. Most of my direct customer contacts are with government agencies and large private comapnies with deep pockets and a need for real security.

The "mainstream" part of this industry will benefit from cutting edge technology being deployed in DHS/ DoD applications in the same way that passenger cars benefit from auto racing. Intelligent video analytics will soon be integrated into common DVR's. Virtual tripwires may replace PE beams and other BA devices, and central station video alarm verification will become much more common. IP video will also make an impact. All the major manufacturers are betting on it from AD to Bosch to Pelco. I'm not sure how it will play out considering the limitations of traditional 10/100 Ethernet. The flexibility of hanging viewing, recording, processing, and archive storage anywhere on the network makes the architecture of these systems revoluntionary in large scale applications.

When people who aren't involved in the leading edge, they get left behind when things change. IP and wireless video are legitmate technologies now for many medium to large commercial clients. Those of us who are comfortable with these technologies will take jobs away from the companies who aren't.

Reply to
J. Sloud

I feel the same way. Most people don't get the opportunity to learn and install what's out there.

Creatively, most of the "limitations" with Ethernet are near non existant. It's this platform that most people are more familiar with as a 0-300' extension. Fact is, it's really a 0-25 Mile extension locally, and a world wide extension overall. Most people see their systems limited by the amount of zones, readers, cameras, etc. I see the limitations in IP addresses, 65,535 of them. That's the flexibility I see.

Exactly.

Exactly. It's an open road.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.