Call setup... does it have to go to a monitoring company?

I'm new to alarm systems, and was interested in setting up one in my home. The main reason is to alert me if someone breaks in while my family and I are asleep (preventing theft while we're gone is secondary). So I'm not really interested in monitoring, but would like to get a call on my cell if my wife and I are gone and the alarm goes off.

I called one of the online alarm suppliers and asked about the call setup (specifically for the GE Concord 4), and I was told that most alarm systems can only call monitoring companies... but I'm questioning that. They told me I could get a telephone module that would call additional numbers, but I'm wondering why I can't do that with the base system. Surely the number is programmable, although maybe only monitoring companies have the capability of programming it...?

So my question is this: are most alarm systems set up to only call monitoring systems? If so, is there a way around it? It doesn't violate any laws if I program it myself, does it?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

What Doug says is correct.

But.. be aware; using a voice dialer in some municipalities to dial the police or 911 IS illegal.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

MOST if not all in the USA. If I recall somebody here posted a pertinent segment of the FCC regs where it said it was against regs to do this without the prior written consent of the jurisdiction. For those who are not aware, the FCC was created by law to create regs that will have the "force of law."

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Dave , To be short . Go Power Max. ( Visonic ) please don't do adt. please. I am in UK. Speak with Bob La Londe or FrankOlson.

Kind Regards,

Micky Leeds UK.

P.S. DON'Y GO ADT. PLEASE

Reply to
Micky Savage

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.