Caddx/Ademco Downloading

Then don't buy it, it's been my experience most don't, it's been relayed to me by the factories that most don't, like it or not most don't. If I recall the last time this came up in the newsgroup most didn't either.

Or it is their experience, you can't judge everything from what happens in Waco

The simple fact is the reason download software is way behind in development compared to other Windows apps is because the companies will not put much development into something so few use. Instead we get the crap we have now.

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

I just don't buy it.

Let's take a quick survey....

How many of you download? There are at least 40 regulars in ASA so there should be 40 answers which are representative of the industry, no?

Jack S. already voted yes.. Graham voted yes..

Manufacturer's do watch this forum - I get email from them and distributors. I figure they email instead of posting because of the RLB carcinogenic nodule that is the scourge of this NG (that has nothing to do with the growth on his lymphatic system).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Fair enough don't buy it

No, this newsgroup is in my opinion not a representation of the industry

Hey you're special! I deal with manufacturers and distributors all the time and they have never emailed me about this forum

Reply to
Mark Leuck

In many cases reps don't know much about the product line they have, expecting them to know about anything else might be too much to ask. There are some exceptions to that thankfully. I have never had one talk about this NG, but I have never asked any about it either.

Reply to
Roland Moore

We do a combination. Download the larger systems, especially the zone descriptions once the owner decides on what they want to call an area. The techs hand program the smaller systems onsite and test all signals to central. I want all my techs to know hand programing. It helps expedite getting accounts and repairs online, that are done over weekends and after hours. All panels get uploaded to the office, when completed, to have a hard copy from the panel to be made part of the client's permanent file.

Careful spilling that info. RLB might get jealous. :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Upon installation, I program from my laptop, on site and if changes are ever needed in the future, I download. Depending upon the situation, sometimes I charge for the service, sometimes I don't.

If problems arise, I upload event logs. That information along with uploading the event logs from central stations, allows me to weave the series of events leading to the solution of the problem.

Event logs are great when the client says there's something wrong with the system.

Reply to
Jim

That's a yes.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Rolling a truck could be messy. For one thing all the parts would fly out of my bins.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ok, I'll bite. I use three modems...DSC MD 12 for DSC products, Cardinal MX 2400 for older Paradox and US Robotic 56K for the newer Spectra and Digiplex, all tied together with a three way switch.

All panels hand programmed on site and uploaded the next day when the client's home is empty. Large 864's and other more complicated or partitioned systems uploaded by laptop on site. Spectra and Digiplex programmed on site by means of a memory key, but still uploaded the next day. Takeovers of older DSC 1500's and semi-proprietary version

3.0 1550's automatically swapped out for version 4.0 1550's and uploaded as well the next day.

Having every client on the computer, and all panels accessible sure saves a lot of unnecessary travel time.

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Ok, I'll bite. I use three modems...DSC MD 12 for DSC products, Cardinal MX 2400 for older Paradox and US Robotic 56K for the newer Spectra and Digiplex, all tied together with a three way switch.

All panels hand programmed on site and uploaded the next day when the client's home is empty. Large 864's and other more complicated or partitioned systems uploaded by laptop on site. Spectra and Digiplex programmed on site by means of a memory key, but still uploaded the next day. Takeovers of older DSC 1500's and semi-proprietary version

3.0 1550's automatically swapped out for version 4.0 1550's and uploaded as well the next day.

Having every client on the computer, and all panels accessible sure saves a lot of unnecessary travel time.

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.