C&K 238 - battery change problem...

Hi all,

I own an old C&K system 238, found in my home when I bought it three years ago. The keypads have always reported "System trouble - Low battery level".

Yesterday eventually I bought a new battery (Pb sealed - 12 V - 7 Ah) to replace the old one. When I opened the central cover, no alarm sounded; I extracted the old one and installed the new one. I was not sure of the correct installation, so I try to disconnect the negative pole of the newly replaced battery, and the alarm sounded (Alarm zone: "Tamper"). I reconnected the negative, closed the central cover and the alarm stopped after about 30 sec.

Today the message was still "System trouble - low battery level". The central was quite warm, and so the battery (i opened once more the cover to check battery temperature, without any alarm this time).

What is the problem? Is the battery recharging or should I have charged it before inserting in my alarm? Why the alarm sounded?

Thank you for any help.

Regards,

Andrea

Reply to
koutatelazzo
Loading thread data ...

That makes no sense. Power cycle the whole thing, remove the batt. and AC power (unplug the transformer) then apply AC then batt. again to reboot it.

Is there a tamper switch on the enclosure?

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

Yes, there is a tamper switch, either on the enclosure and on the internal siren - I opened both and no alarm sounded. The alarm sounded when I "tamper" with the negative pole of the battery. Now I fear the the alarm will sound if I remove the battery...excluding the zone named "Tamper" may allow me remove the battery?

Anyway, I will remove the battery, power down my supply meter, then reconnect the supply meter and reinstall the battery, hoping no alarm will sound during battery installation and removal...for sure the external siren will sound during AC power disconnection (any suggestion for this "problem"? entering an "installation code"?).

Thank you very much for the help!

Bye,

Andrea

Reply to
koutatelazzo

If you're in GB (as I believe you are) then there is another battery located in the siren enclosure on the outside of your house. You're going to have to have it replaced by a professional. Powering down your system (as another poster suggested) won't clear the system of battery trouble.

Reply to
Frank Olson

boy you really get a around for a counter clerk. ;)

Reply to
Mac

There have been about 200 or more threads discussing alarms in GB. Frequently mentioned is the battery in the outside enclosure.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sorry, my question was related to the battery in the "inside" enclosure..that outside works (the siren sounded when I disconnect supply meter). I was not clear, my fault. I think my system is not able to detect low voltage on the outside battery, it considers only the inside one. By the way, I am in Italy ;))

So, this afternoon I will disconnect the mains and try to reset the whole system; the external siren will sound for a while, no problem ;))) I will report tomorrow.

Thank you again and sorry for the misunderstanding. Regards,

Andrea

Reply to
koutatelazzo

I wouldn't believe everything you read on usenet

Reply to
Mac

No problem. The "clerk" thing is an inside joke.

As someone else popinted out, just remove the AC power from the box, replace the battery and reconnect the AC. If the only problem was the low battery all should be well after that.

Nice. I plan to visit Italy with my wife next year. She's been there before but this will be my first visit. We speak Portugese as well as English. Italian is very similar to Portuguese so I hope to pick up a little of the language.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Ok, problem solved by power cycling the whole alarm as indicated. Thank you all for your answer!

Regards,

Andrea

Reply to
koutatelazzo

You're welcome.

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

oppps.

One more chalk line for me!

That makes 5 in my favor..

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

Glad you fixed it yourself. Most of the time this stuff is easy.

You're most welcome.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.