bootleg wireless devices

What's the deal with these bootleg devices that work with Ademco & ITI receivers?

What devices are available? Smokes? Fobs? Motions? etc.

Do they only work on Ademco & ITI or are they compatible with other brands?

Is there a big difference in cost between the bootlegs and the real magillas?

Other than the liability issues what are the downsides of these devices?

Reply to
I brive a dus
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
secure15

They're not really bootleg. They're just a competing brand that can function with several major manufacturers' panels.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I checked into them when they first came out, regarding use with Napco. Price point was about $5.00 less per door/window transmitter. I read the instructions and there was some major something that you couldn't do with them ( but I don't remember what it was now). It would be something like ... you couldn't download an xmtter info or you couldn't program them into the panel directly ..... or something like that. Seems like I remember thinking it was similar ( not exactly) like a Linear, wireless add on.

Anyway, the savings wasn't worth the trouble. And I figured, if I had a problem with an installation, now I'd have two manufacturers pointing their finger at each other, rather than getting me an answer.

Reply to
Jim

What bootleg devices?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Only one I know of is Secure Wireless and they don't make Honeywell sensors anymore after getting sued

function with several major manufacturers' panels.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's the company. They probably decided it would be too expensive to fight Honeywell's lawyers.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No Honeywell has exclusive rights to their wireless frequency

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I doubt it. Honeywell wireless operates at 345MHz. That's a common frequency which the FCC allows numerous low- power devices to utilize. A quick Google on "345MHz" brings up several products using the frequency.

The lawsuit must have been about their proprietary design -- not just frequency.

Odds are Honeywell also has expensive lawyers. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

They paid for the right to use the frequency. Believe what you want.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ademco purchased the frequency years ago, believe what you want

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.