Recommended CCTV devices

Without spending a great deal of money, I would like to install a basic wireless security system preferably using a motion sensor and night vision camera, though night vision isn't crucial and I can do without if it increases cost and a receiver which has the capability to add more cameras when needed. I can hook the system to my TV and I still have an unused VCR which I can use for recording or even use my DVR. Therefore, can anyone recommend systems or separate devices to combine as a system?

I have searched and found people selling used wireless cameras on Craigslist but I would like to know if cameras and receivers are compatible with each other? Can I simply purchase a camera and receiver separately to work together?

Also, how does a motion activated camera control the recording device or do I need a separate motion activated device to control the recording device?

Thank you for all the help as I want to learn as much about this as I can.

Reply to
SBH
Loading thread data ...

I'd look into IP based cameras, put up as many as you want, each just appears as a network device on your LAN. Then get some software (even freeware) to manage them. Take the computer video out to a TV or channel modulator. The advantage is that you can also do remote monitoring, multiplexing, motion sensing, recording, etc. at no extra cost for hardware. And the wired cameras can go over cheap cat5 or use wireless cameras into a wireless LAN if you dont have a problem changing batteries frequently.

Reply to
RickH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.