bASS isms

I abbreviated part of it, dummy. Don't recall the exact wording.

I stopped installing when I moved to Florida. That was in 2,000. I owned several digital cameras before that. If you would at least try to learn something before opening your mouth you might look less an idiot.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

r u trying to say that u still monitor? i'm sure FL DBPR will like to hear about that

Reply to
sockozy

I suppose. But then BAss just loves to "generalize"... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

You lied that Cracker got me shut down. Care to prove that?

Feel free to try. Mugford gave it his best shot and lost.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

u lied he didn't. care to prove it?

Reply to
sockozy

how about the time he said the analog cellular network was not going to shut down on Feb 20, 2008, so all you diyers had noting to worry about.:)hahahahahhaha wooooooooooooooooooooo

Reply to
meesa

good one! here's a link to that action that rlb says is not going to happen

formatting link

Reply to
sockozy

I once paid $48.00 for a trip to Toronto on "Jetsgo". The plane was less than half full (Douglas DC-9) and had Business Class seating (something us guys with long legs really like). They're no longer in business. I wonder why.

Reply to
Frank Olson

They didn't fly to Rio.

Reply to
Roland Moore

It's not. If you took the trouble to read the law before posting nonsense under yet another pseudonym, perhaps you'd learn something. Then again, perhaps you're not interested in the truth.

I didn't say that. I said that the situation isn't as urgent as most alarm dealers would have the public believe. Most will still have time to select an alternative.

The sunset clause states that, as of February 18, 2008, cellular telephone companies will not be required to provide analog service. It does not say that analog services will be shut down on that date. In fact, there is no mandatory shut-down date.

Here's a quote from an alarm industry trade magazine that tells what's really behind all the hoopla:

"As the AMPS Sunset clause date of Feb. 18, 2008, grows closer, many security dealers fear that their customers will use this as an opportunity to cancel their monthly monitoring service. But smart home integrators will take advantage of this Y2K-type event for what it really is: The greatest single up-sell opportunity in your company's history..."

"... After all, you are an invited and trusted advisor within your customer's home. That is a powerful and profitable position to be in, if it is leveraged properly." -- SDM Magazine

It is true that analog cellular service is going to come to an end, but the date is not fixed and the consumer is not "under the gun" the way some dishonest alarm dealers would like him to believe.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

both Ge and Uplink state they are stopping service for analog cell backup on 2-20-2008. You say everybody has more time. good luck with that advice if you choose to believe bASS. THAT IS THE TRUTH.

Reply to
sockozy

Squeeeeeeeeeeeal!!! ;)

Reply to
Si Ballenger

quoted directly from thread in cha 5-25-2004: rocko wrote: > When I used 14 gauge wire with Russound volumn > controls the wire was too big and would not fit in > the connectors. If the runs are under 100 feet [most > residential applications] I would recommend 16 gauge > wire.

Bass admitted: Agreed. You can certainly use 16 gauge for shorter runs. I just cut a few strands off at the V/C end. The difference is for all practical purposes immeasurable. However, most of my sales are multi-zone systems where the

14-gauge goes directly to the speakers. I prefer to prewire for worst case demands. That way if the buyer decides to run heavy loads on a pair at the far end of the house he'll still be alright. The cost increment is minor.

Alarm and Home Automation System FAQ

formatting link

Regards, Robert

Now why would he admit he cut off strands to fit the 14 gauge into the volume control if it fit otherwise? now Si tell me how you get the taste out of your mouth from licking bASS?

Reply to
sockozy

That's easy. Russound isn't the only maker of volume controls we've used. I also installed Niles for quite a few years. We occasionnally used a few other, smaller brands. Some V/C's don't fit

14Ga. Russound (my favorite) does. Again, the problem is you're so intent on bashing that you overlook little things like facts. Feel free to continue. It just makes you look foolish.

BTW, thinning 1/2" of cable at the V/C even on pieces that won't handle 14Ga has no measurable affect on the music.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

BTW, nor does using 16 gauge that actually fits and costs less.

Reply to
sockozy

No, you're wrong. On longer runs which are found in the larger homes where the owners can afford a multi-room audio system, power demands often require the larger gauge. A 1/2" reduction where the cable enters a connector adds so little resistance that it will not affect the audio. But a 2-gauge difference on a 100 ft run adds much more resistance and can actually "color" the sound.

To fully understand the difference you need a basic knowledge of things like wire resistance and its affect on sound propagation. In a nutshell (which hopefully shouldn't be too much for you to handle), a 1/2" long reduction from 14 to 16 gauge will add less than one

1/1000 of an Ohm. But the same reduction in a 100' long, 2-conductor speaker cable will add more than 3 Ohms to the circuit. Attenuation isn't the same for all frequencies so the result is not just a simple reduction in volume. That's what is meant by "coloring" the audio -- you change the way it sounds and, almost never for the better.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

squeal!... squeal!... squeal!... ;)

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Si,

Shhh! He thinks he's winning something. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

So... what you're saying is that it's "OK" to connect a short length of smaller gauge wire to a run of larger gauge wire so that it fits into the terminal block (or conversely "shave" the end by cutting a few strands to make it fit). Right... I'll have to let the AHJ in North Vancouver know that. Care to quote the relevant section of the code (just so I can back up what you said)?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Interesting. Telus has taken the bull by the horns as well. They've worded their notices slightly differently in that they say they "won't begin to dismantle their AMPS networks until after February 2008". When I called them to get the specifics, they wouldn't say anything more that what I quoted above. Seems to me that as a professional security installer, it would behoove me to be "proactive" and ensure my customers services aren't interrupted.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.