ADT security manager 2000 alarm pad

Have old ADT security manager2000. Need to remove key pad. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Rick
Loading thread data ...

Sure, find locking screw and remove keypad, disconnect wires, remove wall plate, use Drywall Spackle and patch as needed. Let dry and sand surface smooth to blend, then paint to match existing wall.

Done!!

Reply to
ABLE1

A sledge hammer comes to mind! But all kidding aside, you will need some tools, most of which can be found around the house. If you do not have them, you can go to your local home depot and rent some. Mention code IRANUT-25 to get a 25% discount.

First, you need to assess the situation correctly. Do you have a basement? Do you have an attic? On which floor is the keypad on? All of theses questions must be answered first, before you can proceed. Also, lay out neatly on the floor all the tools that you will need first.

Let's assume that you do have an unfinished basement and that the keypad is on the main floor. You will first need to drill down to the basement from the main floor. Drill into the floor next to the wall directly under the keypad. Use a long small 1/8" drill. Then go downstairs and locate that drillbit. This is where the keypad is upstairs. Use a compass to figure out on which side of the hole that the keypad is on...

Once you find it, you will need to cut out a square opening under the wall where the keypad is. Since the wall stud is 3 1/2" wide, just cut out an opening 3" x 7" into the floor and the bottom plate of the wall on the main floor, from the basement of course. You will need a large drillbit 2 1/32" for your first hole. Then you will need the home depot reciprocating saw to cut out the plug, as well as a square plug extractor. It might take a little work to get it out, but patience is needed for this delicate operation. Renting a good scalfolding rig is suggested for the setup as well as extraction.

Now get yourself that remote wall camera (online purchase) up into the wall cavity and you will see the back of the keypad plate and there should also be a 4-conductor wire also. Carefully reach up using extra long cutters and cut the red wire first, then the black, then the yellow, and then the green. Make sure that you cut the red wire first. Everything must be cut in the exact order.

In the case that your house does not have a basement, you can do the same from the attic side. You just need to turn your compass upside down though...

Now, here comes the final step. The wiring has now been disconnected and it is now mostly safe to handle the keypad. To be safer though, you should get yourself a whole-body grounding strap before the next step. IMPORTANT! It must be grounded to a direct ground rod (home depot of course) You will also need the special jack hammer to pound the rod into the ground. It is 10 feet tall, so you will also need a good 12' stepladder (HD). Some HD electrician gloves would also be advised.

Wheww! IT IS NOW SAFE TO HANDLE!

All you have to do now, is follow the directions from the first post about unscrewing the bottom screw to open the keypad. That's all there is to it.

Oh yes, if you do not have the drywall skills to path up the wall hole, you can just simply buy yourself a HD wall cabinet/shelving unit to cover up the hole. Better yet, if you are a hunter, an appropriate mount of a body part of your choosing of an animal of your choosing would give you that personal touch of pride and accomplishment.

Disclaimer: HD/Home Depot totally disavows any knowledge of this operation, and cannot confirm or deny any statements or plausibility.

Reply to
E DAWSON

Golly GeeWhiz Ed, How many times did you have to wipe the tears of laughter from your eyes during the the typing of that. I only read one typo. Congrats, it is a keeper.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yes, I did need a good laugh last night and am glad that you enjoyed it. In general, most people tend to complicate things, so I thought it would be appropriate to indulge.

Reply to
E DAWSON

I am quite sure others enjoyed the laugh as well.

Big THUMBS UP from me!!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Ummmm In case I ever run across one of these keypads, I'd like to put this in my installation/de-installation manual for my technicians. But before I do ..... you didn't mention how tall the scaffolding should be. Please advise.

Reply to
Jim

this in my installation/de-installation manual for my technicians. But = before I do ..... you didn't mention how tall the scaffolding should = be. Please advise.

Sorry for the late reply. I had an appointment with HD over my = commissions percentage as well as reviewing all the new gadgets = available.

The scaffolding height requirement can be summed up in one simple = equation. I don't know if this will turn out right for reading purposes = since I am using Rich Text instead of Plain text formatting to write = this.

(Hc - Hf) x (Ht - La) Ht + 1 1 1 1 =20 1 1 + 2 =3D Hs (round up to = the next whole number) (Ht + La) 1 =20 1

Whereas Hc=3D ceiling height; Hf=3D floor height; Ht=3D technician = height; La=3Darm length; and Hs=3Dscaffolding height

I tend to be a bit lysdexic... or is that dyslexic. A true dyslexic will = refer to themselves as lysdexic.

There is an easier way also to figure this out... I believe HD sells an = electronic measuring tool to figure out a room width.=20 To figure out the height, all you have to do is lay a piece of plywood = on some work benches about 4' off the floor. Then, lay on your side with your head sticking out...then you can take = the width of the height..... ...It also helps to have your compass handy at this time...but you don't = have to hold it upside down this time.

If there is no basement in the house, then for the attic scaffolding, = just make sure to secure the unit upside down.

Enjoy your work week coming up!

Reply to
E DAWSON

idth.

WOW! thanks a lot.

I'm wasn't too sure about using the electronic measuring device so I tried doing it with and old time measuring device. A ruler. Took a while to lay i t end to end to get the proper width and height but after several tries I f inally came up with the right answer. While laying the ruler end to end to test out your formula I had to use a ladder to measure up the wall .... the n it dawned on me .... Why not just use a ladder? Finding the right size la dder was a little problem but I just sawed a few inches off the bottom and it was just right.

With regard to dyslexia .... do you know what the definition of a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac is?

Some who sits up all night pondering the existence of doG.

Reply to
Jim

WOW! thanks a lot.

I'm wasn't too sure about using the electronic measuring device so I tried doing it with and old time measuring device. A ruler. Took a while to lay it end to end to get the proper width and height but after several tries I finally came up with the right answer. While laying the ruler end to end to test out your formula I had to use a ladder to measure up the wall .... then it dawned on me .... Why not just use a ladder? Finding the right size ladder was a little problem but I just sawed a few inches off the bottom and it was just right.

With regard to dyslexia .... do you know what the definition of a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac is?

Some who sits up all night pondering the existence of doG.

Good one! It took me a while to figure out what you meant. I kept reading it backwards....

Reply to
E DAWSON

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.