Adding programmable keypads

I have 4 keypads (only using three) for an Ademco Vista 50ADT. Two of the keypads are the 6139's, so they were already set up for me. I am trying to add the 6137. In the device programming mode, how do I determine the device ID, I tried assigning it ID #2, and of course fixed type 02, however I just get random words on the display. Part of the upper half of the first two character word, then the word "Away", In addition on the display BAT is shown, and both ready and armed are lit. I used the 6139 to program it. Do I program it with the keypad connected (6137) or unplugged. The other keypad which I did not try to program, as it doesn't have the connector is the 6139B (larger portrait shaped keypad). That one beeped continuously with no display message, and both ready and armed flashing and sounding. I'm not sure if that keypad actually came with the arm as it is branded ADT.

Reply to
jabrams4
Loading thread data ...

You need access to installer mode programming to tell the panel that a new address exists. That said, programming of device address is begun at the device - power down the KP and press 1+3 together, than input it's addy.

Since you are totally lost by now, and under contract by ADT - you should not f*ck with it.

BTW - "ID#2" won't work. You can't just pick an address randomly. You have to know what other devices are occupying those addresses. The panel does not see address 2 on the ECP loop.

RTFM

Reply to
G. Morgan

Fuck it...

I am feeling gracious .

Address the KP to "16", "31", or "0"

By pressing 1+3 within 60 secs of powerup.

Example :

0+pound(#)

For that panel, I think "0" will work - it will not be supervised.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thank you for your help, but I found the information from some older messages in this Newsgroup. The panel was picked up at a flea market in Orlando. I had it programmed for me by someone who was familar with that panel. I thought that he used 0 and 1 as the adresses, but he used 1 and 2, so when I changed the address of the 6137 from 31 to

2, and used zone 9, it locked the other keypad on address 2 to zone status. Since I still had one more keypad connected, I was able to change the type of keypad #2 to addressable (01) and the 6137 to address 03, and only zone 1, all is fine now. But, it appears that the backplates from the 6137 and the 6139 are not interchangable, as the "+" is thcker on the 6137 backplates. Since I had to redrill the mounting option on 1 of the 6139's to fit over an old Ademco keypad openning, I now have to switch 2 of the 3 keypads. I am also not under contract to ADT. I also have the 200+ page manual, but it doesn't mention the 1+3 on the keypad to determine the address. The programmer prbably mentioned it to me in Feb., but it took me a few months to actually switch out my Napco panel. The EOL's are 2K here, and Napco used 2.2K, and 10K on the expansion unit. Radio Shack doesn't even carry the 2K's. I had some spares, but I temporarily misplaced them, so I purchased some 22K, and paralleled the 2.2K to give me 2K.

Compared to the other Newsgroups I use, this one always gives fast responses. Keep up the good work.

Reply to
jabrams4

Whatever...

You know.. all you have to do is call Robert Bass - he will teach you everything there is to know about any alarm system, plus how to wire it too. He says it takes about 2 hours. It took me 16 years, and I am still learning. I guess I'm stoopid.

BTW - you are welcome.

Reply to
G. Morgan

In an earlier thread, he told us that he spent 35 minutes on the phone walking his client (who was installing his first alarm system) through programming a Napco 9600 and testing all the communications through to his cellphone before switching it over to the monitoring station. Oh... and he also instructed his wife on how to use the system.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Does that 16 year period include time between jobs?

Everyone has his strengths and his weaknesses. I'm good at teaching people how to install and program alarm and home automation systems. That is due in part to having spent over 30 years in the industry (without ever having been fired).

I understand Honeywell systems well enough to get by but I'm much stronger with Napco.

On Friday I walked a DIYer through programming a Napco Gemini P9600 system with over 30 zones. It took 10 minutes to walk the gentleman through downloading, installing and configuring the software. Next we spent about 35 minutes programming the entire system (he had already figured out how to configure the keypads and zone expanders before he called). The system worked perfectly on the first download.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Wait, I thought it was 26 years. No ....no ....wasn't it 28 years? Ummmm .... how could that be, you weren't licensed for .... what was it(?) 5 years? or was that 7 years? And when did you install your last system? That had to be about 15 years ago by now. Ya think any of this equipment has changed since then?

(without ever having been fired).

Yeah ..... we know. You were too busy trying to "fire" at someone else.

Uhhhh .... when did you say you last installed a system? Let's see now .... can you tell us what the recent hardware changes are on some of the wireless transmitters? What makes them a little easier to install now? Oh .... that's right, you don't actually ever get to "touch" the equipment you just drop ship it and teach people over the phone how to install a system the way it used to be installed 15 years ago.

Yep ..... uh huh!

And you're not going to die of cancer .... too.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.