adding a new door to security system

I am trying to add a new door to my brinks home security system. I have another door already on the system approimately '6 from the new door. Can a relay a line off of the existing door or do I need to run a line back to the box? Thanks for your help!

Reply to
eryan
Loading thread data ...
6 feet?...I'd just series it in with the other door. Keep in mind that it will behave like the other door, ie; if it's a delay door, the new door will also be delay. And, make sure you series it - not parallel.
Reply to
Crash Gordon

what do you mean by series vs parallel?

Reply to
eryan

If you series it either door opening will cause an alarm, if you parallel it then both doors would have to be opened to cause and alarm.

If the existing switch uses yellow/green conductors you'd cut into one of them and connect your new wire to each end of the cut. Picture the electrons flowing through one closed switch then taking a detour to your new switch, then going back home to the panel.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

very helpful, thank you

Reply to
eryan

yer welcome.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.