4208U

Hi, Two Ademco problems:

I connected a 4208U to a Vista 50ADT Panel. What should the zone type be for the 4208 (zones 10-16). I tried "07" - referenced by DIP switch, and all the zones (which have the 10K resistors) come up as fault zones, with an addition zone 97 as a fault zone (based upon the

4208 faulting). I do not have a resistor on the "A" zone which is not used when you use zones 9-16. Resistance (before power applied comes up at approx. 9.8 K on my DVM (so I have the right resistors in). Each zone is homerun to a single window that has foil. Is their an EOL that connects accross the polling loop, as the manual shows a picture of something coming out of the right side of the first 4208U (or is that just a symbol to mean protection zones)? I also set the zones up with the same protection zone as the first 9, and as a perimeter zone (03). On the 50P panel, I used 24 as + and 25 as -, however, why is there a "+" sign under pin 25?

The second problem is that I wanted to change the default access code from 1234 to ABCD (meaning 4 different numbers). Somehow I also changed the installer default code from 6*** to ABCD (my new security code). How do I change the installer code back to 6*** and leave the security code unchanged? Life was so simple using the Ademco 100 series (a battery and 3 little relays (no electronics in the panel).

Reply to
jabrams4
Loading thread data ...

The zones on the 4208U expansion board should each be supervised using the 10K Ohm resistors that came with the 4208U.

Have you set the address dip switches on the

4208U correctly? Also, I assume you used twisted pair wiring for the polling loop. You don't need it for analog sensors but it's required for the PL.

Here's an excerpt from the Vista-50P concerning the polling loop:

The built-in polling loop has the following limitations that must be observed:

-- The maximum allowable current draw from the polling loop is 64mA. (Refer to the POLLING LOOP CURRENT DRAW WORKSHEET (found in Section 15: FINAL POWER-UP PROCEDURE for current draws of various polling loop devices.) If devices total more than 64 mA, a 4197 Polling Loop Extender Module is required.

-- Regardless of current draw, no more than 64 devices can be connected to this loop. Installations which require up to 86 zones will require the use of zone expanders which accommodate more than one zone per RPM device (4190WH (2 zones) or 4208 (8 zones)). If more devices are needed, a 4197 Polling Loop Extender Module must be used.

The 4197 Polling Loop Extender Module may be used to provide additional polling loop current, to extend the polling loop wire run, and/or to provide individual, electrically isolated polling loops...

Reply to
Robert L Bass

er to the POLLING LOOP CURRENT DRAW WORKSHEET (found in

loop devices.) If devices total more than 64 mA, a 4197

o this loop. Installations which require up to 86 zones

ne per RPM device (4190WH (2 zones) or 4208 (8 zones)). If

olling loop current, to extend the polling loop wire run,

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

dealer data sheets) for the 4208U. All zones 10-16 on the 4208U show fault= s=2E For zones 10-16 I have the switches set for ON ON ON ON OFF OFF OFF O= N, and zone type (50P) set for #7 (programmed zone by DIP Switch). I even = connected the EOL directly to loop B and it still gives me the fault readin= g=2E Can the panel lose it's programming for those zones, or did the origi= nal owner never have the expansion zones turned on? as I had to enable them= . I'm currently testing the alarm with only 1 7amp battery, and 3 keypads = (using a sonic alert as a temp siren (instead of the MVA1000 and 4 speakers= )) so I don't think I have a current problem. I also put a jumper across t= he tamper switch, as it appears that the magnet (if there is one) in the 42=

08 cover is missing (although switch 8 should bypass it). Since loop A is = not used, I didn't put an EOL on it. Is there an additional memory locatio= n in the 50P to tell the system that a 4208 is installed?
Reply to
jabrams4

Obviously you should go back to an Ademco 100 judging by your post

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Hey ..... ya know ....... that would answer the CID versus 4/2 format problem also. :-)

Reply to
Jim

I thought I left an additional message last night. I bypassed all 7 zones (10-16), but I cannot bypass the zone 97 error code to be able to use the alarm. I have the dip switches set for ON ON ON ON (zones

9-16), OFF OFF OFF and ON (for the bypass) which I jumpered with alligator clips just to be sure. I set the 50P for zone type 7 (for zones 10-16), which is for dip switch programming. Is there another memory location in the 50P to tell the system that a zone expander is connected?

The alarm came from the previous used with that zone expander installed, so could the panel have lost its programming for the expander?

Reply to
jabrams4

Too bad this is not a regular Vista panel but an ADT unit. Otherwise you could get regular Compass software to tell the story of what is happening. Do you have the Vista 50 instructions or just the 4208 U instructions? In future using a 4208"SN" will allow you to add more zones total and give you a faster system response that the same "U" model. I've never tried it, but maybe you could get someone like RLB to sell you a new chip to change it from an ADT to a regular model. I have changed the chips on these units but only from unbranded to unbranded, never ADT to unbranded.

Reply to
Just Looking

Check to make sure you have dip switches set corectly I beilive it is number

6# on is for dip switch setting and not serial input. this will cause 97 code becuse it is not seeing the board. as a dipswitch set but serial set and is looking for serial number inputs. this is a common mistake many make.
Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Sure there is. I have it in PDF. Give me a good email address and I'll send it to you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Is there a manual for the 4208U. All I seem to see on line is the dealer data sheet. Is the diagram of the DIP switch correct that is on the back of the cover? With the terminal strip on the bottom, it shows switch 1 on the top, with "on" to the right. Switch 8 is next to the reed switch.

Reply to
jabrams4

I believe I answered that in a previous post. I just sent you the manual in PDF format. Enjoy.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You're welcome.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You appear to be talking to yourself again

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.