2006 IBC 2nd attempt

Hello all,

I have a need for a small answer to a big question.

If someone has a copy of the 2006 IBC would you look up if a building that is listed as type "General Mercantile", has 3 floors with about 5800 sq ft on each floor, is used for furniture sales on all floors including the basement, with elevator.

Is this building required to have smoke detectors installed as per NFPA 72?? The building is not sprinkled.

I don't at present have access to 2006 IBC but will towards the end of next week. I know that there may be other issues to answer the question and if you need to ask a specific question please do so.

I also know that the AHJ will make the final decision but he is reluctant to answer the question with out drawings and submittals in front of him. I am trying to work out a quick number for my customer.

Thanks much,

Have a good day.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Les:

I tend to shy away from "quick numbers". Wait for the drawings & submittals, then quote the job properly. Until then, it's a "guessing game" with you as the "man on the spot". That's my "two cents", anyway...

Reply to
Frank Olson

good policy if you can delay that long, I call mine an ESTIMATE to get around that problem. some of that 'code' stuff is subject to interpretation. Especially if you start bringing in ADA, International Codes, City, County, State Amendments, etc. Don't forget Insurance Co needs. So if in your interpretation they need to pay you to put in a fire alarm system then that would be your expert opinion. They can always get another opinion if they don't like that one. ; )

Reply to
KingFish

Ok, I really do get the point but it still leave the question un-answered.

Does the 2006 IBC require smokes to be installed in a building of this type??

BTW it's ok if you say you don't know.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Estimate it assuming that it does, then the client will be pleasantly surprised later if it doesn't.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.