PP8600's and DVMRP between sites

I have 2 PP's that I am attempting to pass DVMRP traffic between. I have turned DVMRP on globally and on each VLAN ID that I want it to pass through. (I did not turn it on the physical ports). The question I have is the metric field is default of 1. If I am going over a few hops do I have to change this metric on all destinations both ways that are above 1 hop? Is there any danger of doing this during the day?

We have 2 apps that rely on this that I am trying to get functioning in both locations.

Thanks in advance,

John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

John

There are two metric fields you can modify, one is metric (distance metric for the interface, used to calculate distance vectors) and another is default route metric (number of hops for DVMRP).

oder to let your multicast control reach another Passport.

Regards

Reply to
Dophi

So there are 2 metric options on the VLAN / DVMRP tab. One is Metric with an option of 1..31 and the other is the DefaultRouteMetric. What is the difference between the 2?

Thanks again.

John Mitchell

Reply to
John

Metirc : Each DVMRP interface is configured with a metric that indicates the cost of the hop. A router that receives multiple route reports for the same multicasting source network performs the following tasks:

1. Compares the cost specified in each route report (based on the metric field)
  2. Stores information from the report with the lowest cost in its routing table

So, the default value of metric is 1, which means local delivery only.

Default Route Matric: A route metric is the sum of all the interface (hop) metrics from a given route source to a given router. After a next-hop neighbor has been declared for a route, the route updates received from that neighbor for that route take precedence until either the route times out or another router advertises a better metric for that route.

So, the default route metric sets the metric (number of hops for DVMRP) of the default route.

Please refer to RFC 1075

Reply to
Dophi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.