One-Way VoIP communication

Has anyone experienced a problem with VoIP where, after placing a call on the VoIP, the party on the other end can't hear you? So far I've only experienced this with internal calls and the calls are always going between VoIP and TDM. We're running an Option 61C with Succession 3.0 and a Media Gateway Card for the VoIP-to-TDM translation.

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews
Loading thread data ...

Direct access your Media Gateway ports and make test calls from a proprietary phone to an IP phone. We had this happen on a site recently. What I'm told is that the whole Media Gateway Card usually goes out, not just one port, so it shouldn't take long to find the bad one and disable it. BTW, our switch was (an 81c) was also running Succession 3.0. The Media Gateway Card that was bad disabled about five of it own ports. So you might just start by STATing the Media Gateway Loops first.

BTW, if it is a bad Media Gateway Card, and you have standard TDM trunks, you should also be having intermittent problems dialing external numbers from an IP phone. (How intermittent depends on how many Media Gateway Cards you have.)

Good luck.

Reply to
RonB

Ron,

Thanks for the great response. We only have one MGC and this seems to describe our problem perfectly (the frequency of the issue, etc). I was thinking yesterday that the issue was probably with the MGC. I have our sevice vendor coming out today and this is the first thing we'll check.

Again, thanks for the note. It really helps!

~ Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

Hope you find (or have found) your trouble.

Reply to
RonB

What Software and Firmware version are you running on the MGC or ITG.

Reply to
XBarNone

Hi Ron,

Seems like the problem isn't as rampant now, but we're still experiencing it even after changing the cards out. We're thinking of swapping card slots next.

Here is the IDC on the card from LD 11:

REQ: idc 8 1 5 => NT0966BA R05 NNTMEJ025053 200343

I know that gives us the model number and vintage, but I'm not sure if the other numbers are the firmware info. If not, how would I go about finding those?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

Telnet to card ip address or Hyperterm into card on serial port on front of card:

User name and password sould be the same as on the switch type ? to get menu help

the command to get software version is swVersionShow. Case sensitive. I beleive the other is FirmwareShow, not sure on that one, should be in help menu though.

You should have a firmware of 8.2 or better and a software version of

3.10.xx or better.

Reply to
XBarNone

r u sure it is not a network issue, one way audio is almost always dropped packets due to firewall or router issues.

Reply to
usatracy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.