More Weird Insteon stuff

Came home this evening and couldn't turn on the bedroom lights. The Keypadlinc that controls them was dead as a doornail - not even the backlight worked. Pulled the airgap for 10 seconds and it came back on - factory reset with no links to other devices. Spent 20 minutes reprogramming the damn thing to link with two other KPL's and 4 switches. Earlier, I had gone to the kitchen and found that the switch that had magically linked itself to others and then went back to normal, had linked itself to 4 other switches in the same box. Turn it on and watch the others come on - but not all at once! My wife's question was, "So tell me again why this stuff is better than the X10 stuff?" I was left speechless.

Reply to
BruceR
Loading thread data ...

Actually, you are kinda lucky. I've got an "important" switch that unlinks every week or two.

My wife's question was, "So tell me again why this stuff is better than the mechanical stuff?"

-- Hershel

Reply to
Hershel Roberson

With X10, the comment I would hear every couple of months was: "The living room light is still on." That has a CF bulb controlled by a lamp module with no filter. However, I haven't even heard that since installing the first XTB prototype. ;-)

The only anomaly we still have is that "dimmed" lamp modules come on at full intensity for the first cycle after a power outage. I just bought some LM14As for those locations, but still have to make the swap.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Bruce,

Please correct me if I remember the details incorrectly, or if they have changed since I was last paying attention, but doesn't your setup also have X-10 installed at least insofar as it depends on a beta (?) version of an X-10-> INSTEON converter that was withdrawn or never actually sold?

That could be very germane to the experiences you have.

...Marc Marc_F_Hult www.ECOntrol

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Yes, I have the 2414X translator. A couple of other switches have unlinked themselves from it too. This latest round of oddities only occurred after I installed the beta Houselinc Software, which BTW, is now shipping in production form.

Reply to
BruceR

Someone in Florida (lots of thunderstorms) has posted about a similar problem (although his KPL locks up but remembers its programming after the reset) to SmartHome's Insteon forum.

IMO, this is one that they should have long ago. It's obviously a programming issue and has carried through various models (both pre and post Insteon) for 5-6 years. It even sounds a bit like Dan Lanciani's complaint about the original Switchlincs.

With utility deregulati>Came home this evening and couldn't turn on the bedroom lights. The

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.