Insteon woes - I'm tempted to chuck the whole lot now.

Several of my Insteon devices have taken to linking or unlinking with other devices on their own. Anybody else having this problem? Additionally, one of my KPL's just turns itself off completely and has to be restarted and reprogrammed. Lastly, my 2414X Translator has put itself into setup mode and won't come out of it. With all these problems I may just ship the whole load back and put the X10 stuff or something else back in! This isn't fun anymore.

Reply to
BruceR
Loading thread data ...

Sorry to hear that, Bruce.... guess it's the lesser of two evils scenario. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Regards,

Neil

Reply to
Neil J. Hubbard

Before I did that, I'd get rid of the 2414X Translator assuming that your software has native INSTEON support. As I understand it, the Translator never made it out of beta. You may experiencing some of the reasons why it didn't as well as even more spurious interaction with firmware released after they (apparently) gave up on it. Try taking it out of the system to see if reduces the problems.

If your software doesn't talk INSTEON, and the beta 2414X is indeed much of the problem, consider an Elk MG1, even if primarily for the purpose of controlling the INSTEON. But first check reactions to the Elk-M1XSP Insteon version Firmware v.50.0.22 released 6/23/06. I can do that for you in the Elk developer forum if you like.

... Marc (Homebrew Hardwired where it matters; INSTEON where it doesn't ;-) Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

I'm using a JDS Stargate with no native Insteon support and waiting to replace the 2414X with RoZetta. If I can't coax the 2414X back to operation I'll pull the airgap on all "non-essential" Insteon devices and let them operate as X10. Hopefully, I can pull enough to allow the X10 signals through. I have an XTB so we shall see if enough X10 is present to control these. All these latest troubles started with the installation of HouseLinc Desktop but I can't prove and don't claim any relationship.

Marc_F_Hult wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

Bruce,

Don't you also have the beta version of HouseLink? And also running both X-10 and INSTEON? With the 2414X Translator that never made it out of beta?

FWIW, Rick Tinker at Homeseer is asking for input on what direction to take their Stargate module (they may open-source it or they may upgrade it -- in which case they would need to charge for it. If they upgrade it yo 'good enough', you might consider Stargate Homeseer INSTEON

I won't comment on Rozetta for a variety of reasons but do point out that new simpler INSTEON powerline modem is due out Real Soon, and a new SDM was released on the 21st, and that an CM11a-->INSTEON translator can be made using software only using virtual com ports. Once the SDM is sufficiently stable, IMO that would be the preferred route to talk to INSTEON rather than interposing yet another piece of hardware. Of course if Stargate only talks TLL through TW523 instead of RS-232 to CM11a (I dunno) that is not an option.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

I have the beta Houselinc Desktop (which I suspect as a possible culprit here) and the 2414X which, prior to the Houselinc install was working as designed. Houselinc detected the 2414X as a KeypadLinc. I'll look at HomeSeer but I really prefer standalone units to having to run a PC

24/7. I d> Bruce,
Reply to
BruceR

Bruce,

Many folks share your concerns, but PC's and OS's really have improved. Use a low-power PC (notebook, tablet, laptop, or small motherboard), with XP and it won't hang (leastways my HA box hasn't in ~7 years post W98SE), or make much heat or noise.

Consider a fanless power supply and change the fan on the CPU (if present) and replace the hard drive at every Presidential election and it will run until obsolete jist like they do ;-) Since installing XP Pro, I can't recall any of the 3-5 computers that run in the house 24x7 hanging up except from lightning (which also took/takes out security panel, phone, network), while installing new HW, SW or upgrade, or a few predictable circumstances (eg memory fights between MS and Adobe w/ huge Photoshop files and MS Media Center Edition when its doing most anything to do with 'media' ... )

My reservation about suggesting Homeseer is that it itself has sometimes been one of the "predictable circumstances" I mentioned above. Rev 2.0 was a major re-write to .net. The first subsequent rev (2.1 ?) came out recently and is said to have many improvements but I haven't installed it yet. Problems are/were mostly in the addons -- including the "free" INSTEON module reportedly largely because of problems with the SmartLabs-provided INSTEON driver.

YMMV .. Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

While I agree XP is MUCH more stable than W95, it still can lock up. There have been a few instances when the dreaded reset button was the only way to recover. Even with a reboot every morning, things can get corrupted. I still run some old applications, so maybe that is a factor.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

If I had to I do have an old XP box that I could dedicate to translating but I still see it as a weak link better served by a task specific black box. To that end, Dave's efforts on the Rozetta seem to be bearing fruit and RoZetta will be ready for testing soon so that will be my direction for now.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.