IR Blasters?

I know that sticking emitters on each individual component is the preferred method of IR distribution. But I'd still like to know what "blaster" options are available.

I'd rather avoid sticking an emitter on a powermid and using it to do the blasting.

I just want to put a box on an end table or shelf about ten feet from about ten components I want to control and connect that to the output of a Xantech xtralink kit.

-- Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong
Loading thread data ...

Most blasters work pretty good if you have it far enough away from the rack (component) to get a good pattern... on convex surfaces and nice components that won't take a crappy looking emitter I've placed one on the front of "something" like the rack, shelf, etc. and bounced the IR pulse off the adjacent wall... works great providing the didtance isn't too far away or angled funny. Good luck.

Oh yeah, turn your processor's IR setting up to high if equipped.

-bugga

Reply to
Bugga

Thank you for your input. What blasters have you used, could you provide part numbers so I can search for them?

I was planning on putting them ten feet away, directly line of sight, is that too far?

Does the Xtra L> Most blasters work pretty good if you have it far enough away from the

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong

The range of any IR emitter is mostly a function of the drive current available from the IR signal source. Most microcontroller based devices need to limit the current to a level that the microcontroller pins can handle. So, you're really looking at this the wrong way around. If you have sufficient drive current, almost any emitter can give the range you need. Because the duty cycle is low, most emitters can handle lots of current. If you do not have sufficient drive current, no unamplified emitter will give you the range needed.

Is your objection to the Powermid based on appearance? If not, its built-in emitter gives more than adequate range with no need to add any external blaster. There are other Powermid-like devices with a better esthetic but whether they have similarly powered built-in emitters may depend on the specific make/model.

F>Thank you for your input. What blasters have you used, could you

Reply to
Dave Houston

I wanted to avoid using RF.

Yes unfortunately, and thus makes it hard to search for what I'm looking for. I did find the Niles IRC-1 and IRB-1, which according to the manual can work 18'-30' line of sight, but the manual also mentioned wall mount options for better aesthetics, but mentions no part numbers, grr.

Also, I was looking to set this on a table or shelf not mount on a wall.

Back to your point about the drive current, do the IRC-1 and IRB-1 require special amplifiers, or can they be driven by the Xtra Link directly?

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong

My objection to them is based on experience. I tried Powermid devices years ago. They're unreliable. I would never use one in a customer's home.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What "experience" would that be??

Reply to
Frank Olson

I think you'll have to "ask the man who owns one". From the literature at Smarthome on the Xtra Link 172-94 the fact that the IR receiver has a 12V power supply leads me to _guess_ that it amplifies the signal and can _probably_ source enough current to drive multiple emitters. IRC-1 & IRB-1 each have two IR emitters and my _guess_ is they are connected in series which gives you a twofer - twice the IR from the same current. The Xtra Link kit appears to come with a dual stick-on emitter.

How do you plan to get the signal from the coax CPL94B Coupler to the 291-00 IR Receiver? And power to the IR Receivewr? Is the table or shelf adjacent to the wall with the coax?

Reply to
Dave Houston

On Jun 5, 3:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) wrote: ...

I plan to use the 172-94 kit. There is already a line of coax going directly from room to room. The 291-00 will be placed on top of the remote TV (the modulated video signal goes directly there). The INJ94 will also be in that room, placed between the coax and the input of the TV, the 291-00, and connected to the power supply. The CPL94B will be connected between the coax and the modulated RF output in the main room. There is an end table beside the couch directly facing all the equipment I want to control--about ten or twelve feet away. I want to set an IR emitter there that is strong enough to control all the equipment.

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong

Ahh - I was misinterpreting which end the IR receiver was at. Based on this diagram...

formatting link
I doubt the unpowered coupler will be able to drive the dual Niles emitters but, again, that's guesswork. Why don't you try asking Smarthome's support people about this?

If you can solder, see...

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

On Jun 5, 10:21 am, snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) wrote: ...

If I were to give up on the blaster method, what can I connect the output of the CPL94B to so I can have at least six emitters?

In the Installation Instructions for the CB60 it says "Also, do not use a CB60 to expand from a 789-44 or a CB20. Expand from a CB12 and a

791-44 only." Why is this?

It does not mention the CPL94B--is it ok to use the CB60 to expand the CPL94B?

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong

The CB60 also looks like it is designed to drive stick-on type emitters. It may not have enough power to give you the range you want. But, you probably should be asking these questions of Xantech's technicians.

In the Xtra Link Instruction manual, it says to place the "high-output 282M emitter" within 6 inches of the target so I think you will need some type of amplified emitter (e.g. the DIY version I cited earlier) to get the range you want.

Reply to
Dave Houston

The CB60 is designed to connect up to 6 dual emitters. The device can control twelve components using Xantech or other compatible IR emitters. You may use either the 781RG or 782-00 power supply. Either one will do the job. The 781RG gives 200mA of 12VDC. The 782-00 is a 1Amp version.

Xantech makes five dfferent emitters which you can use with the CB60:

- 282M Mouse Emitter

- 283M Blink-IR Mouse Emitter

- 283MW Blink-IR with Mini-Wire

- 284M Dual Emitter

- 286M Dual Blink-IR Mouse Emitter

The above are all intended for installation within a few inches of the controlled devices. With up to 12 emitters though, you can probably place one on each device with ports to spare.

The "Blink-IR" versions flash an LED when they are sending IR to the component. I've found this to be helpful when diagnosing an installation. With it, if a component fails to respond you at least know you're sending a command.

The 789-44 supports fewer (4) single or dual IR emitters but offers things like a "status" port to tell control status LEDs on compatible devices.

Note that these are 12VDC devices. A few companies manufacture IR emitters with different voltages. Xantech is pretty much the name to beat in IR distribution.

Side note: Xantech also makes some sophisticated multi-zone A/V distribution systems. If that's an area of interest you might want to give them a browse. I've used Xantech on my own jobs for years with good results. I sell their products online at

formatting link
If you're a dealer you can order from ADI. If not, well...:^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

... I'm familiar with all that you wrote about. What I don't know is how to connect the CPL94B to a connecting block. Which blocks are safe, do I need to use a power supply with it, and if so, does there still need to be a power supply in the remote room powering the INJ94?

Also, I still don't know why the CB60 can't be used to expand a 789-44 or a CB20.

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. As to the remote room, yes, you still need a power supply. If you connect to a connecting block you will also need a PS for it.

I don't know for sure which connecting blocks can be used with the CPL94B. I can ask Xantech tech support on Monday if you like or if you prefer you cam speak to them directly. They're usually very helpful.

Xantech's main number is 818-362-0353. When you get the auto-attendant, go to extension 355 for tech support.

I never had occasion to try that so I can't tell you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

On Jun 10, 3:56 pm, "Robert L Bass" wrote: ...

... I contacted them, they said I could use the CPL94B with a connecting block, despite what the manual says. They specifically mentioned

789-44 (no power supply needed) or 791-44 (with power supply). I did not ask about other connecting blocks. ... Also, I found what I was originally looking for, the Xantech 39020 Shelf-Top IR Blaster, though I don't think I'm going to go that route, based on my experience with trying to position one of those IR-RF-IR blasters. Finding a single spot to set the cone so that it would hit all the equipment proved difficult, and once that was accomplished, I thought it could easily get blocked.

I also had RF interference such that I could not locally operate some equipment reliably.

-- Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Armstrong

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.