Foard Systems Design Controllers

Is anyone familar with the Foard Systems Design controllers? They look like nice mid-range, priced controllers that work with multiple control standards. Currently only X10 and UPB are supported but the company webpage indicates that "Z-Wave and INSTEON products are anticipated." The controllers are base on the Amtel ATmega128 processor. Here are a couple of websites discussing the controller:

formatting link
and the company website:

formatting link
I am currently comparing this control with the ADI Ocelot. The biggest downfall of the FSD controller is that it does not provide for IR control and supports fewer devices. However, the downfall of the Ocelot is that it does not provide for other control standards and there seems to be no movement in that direction from ADI.

Regards, GaryB

Reply to
canoewhiteh2o
Loading thread data ...

Applied Digital seems pretty moribund. Does anyone have any knowledge if they are developing anything new?

Reply to
Steve

I have no experience with Foard Systems, having discovered them only a few days ago. They do have a fairly broad array of products.

formatting link
Dan Boone is no longer with ADI. I really don't know what that means as far as new product development but I think he was the prime mover on that front. I was told they are planning bridges to the newer PLC standards but do not know whether thay are developing their own or looking to third parties. Their primary business is doing contract manufacturing for others so they may be concentrating more on that than on expanding the HA product line.

The Foard UPB bridge, while a little pricey for what it does, should work with an Ocelot TW523 port so you can get the Ocelot's versatility and still get the newer standards.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

I agree that the bridge alone is a little pricey. However the FSD X10-UPB-FGI Bridge Controller is basically in line with the Ocelot. As I mentioned previously you do give up the IR control for the UPB bridge and you can only control about 1/2 the number of devices versus the Ocelot. But with future expandablity in mind the FSD becomes more attractive. ADI has been slow to adapt to market trends. I have not used the FSD control so I am no spokes person. I do however like their business model for HA expandability.

GaryB

Reply to
canoewhiteh2o

For the thousands of people who already have an Ocelot but want UPB (or Insteon when that bridge is available), the bridge probably makes more sense. For someone just getting started, the controller may make more sense depending on whether IR is a factor.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.