Insteon?

Yes.

Have you bothered to call Smarthome? Here's their number. 949-221-9200. Give them a bit more respect than you gave to Elk's engineers and they'll probably help you out.

That's pretty standard in the industry.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Has anybody seen any detailed technical specifications for Insteon?

All of the initial hype made it sound like each device was capable of receiving RF (perhaps I misread that) but what little recent info I've found sounds suspiciously like it consists of two RF2PLC devices (i.e. one RR501-like device for each phase) with PLC communication to switches, lamp and appliance modules.

The initial press releases indicated it would be available 1Q05 but now it has slipped to 2Q05.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Check out this introduction guide to Insteon:

formatting link
probably contains the most info you can find on the internet.

Reply to
Dan

I can find the same regurgitated SmartHome press release at dozens of places on the web.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Actually the site Dan mentioned was written by a guy that saw Insteon and talked directly with SmartHome reps at some show (the name escapes me now, I want to say CES but I don't remember for sure). It has much more details than the "same regurgitated SmartHome press release" you mention. Take a look! It's quite informative.

Matt

formatting link

>
Reply to
md

formatting link

why did I have a feeling you were going to pounce on this one ...

1) no pictures at all 2) no personal experiences of people who actually played with the hardware and talked to the SmartHome people. 3) MUCH more details 4) all in one guide 5) free and no ads

what is your problem?

Reply to
Dan

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link
>

I saw the thread you recommend before my initial post - it came up near the top of a Google search on "Insteon". There's no useful technical information in it that in any way addresses my questions. There are several Google hits; I only listed a few.

You have demonstrated that you lack the ability to understand technical issues so I give little weight to anything you have to say despite your claim to be an "ha guru". I'm sure that most of what I say will be beyond your skill level. Believe me, that's your problem - not mine.

Are there any details about the Insteon PLC protocol? Is it different from the X-10 PLC protocol? Does it use FSK or ASK? Their specs give nothing beyond the signal level (4.64V) and frequency (131.65kHz). They say their protocol is much faster than X-10 but it's not clear whether they are referring to the RF or PLC protocol. The fact that they misrepresent the speed of the X-10 PLC protocol does not inspire confidence in anything else they say.

Where are the beta testers that you claimed were testing these a few months back? Are they the same superhero time travelers who've been using (according to you) UPB for years?

The SignaLinc "wireless access points" sound like little more than all housecode "transceivers". HINT: The fact that two are required is an IMPORTANT CLUE.

Is the RF range (up to 150' in the specs) measured in free air? If so, it's likely to be 30-40' max under typical conditions. Will the SignaLinc work with X-10 RF transmitters or only with SmartHome's design?

I believe 131.65kHz and ~4.64V is what you get using a Philips TDA5051A FSK PLC modem chip and an off the shelf crystal. Are they using this or have they designed their own chip? One of the Google hits said they haven't decided on a foundry and that hardware will be unavailable before 2006 but it's unclear what this means since details are lacking.

131.65kHz (whether ASK or FSK) is likely to be bedevilled by the same gremlins as X-10's 120kHz ASK. Some of the articles mention the need for filters but there's insufficient detail to make valid judgements let alone comparisons to X-10. SmartHome seems to think that amplifying the signal is the answer but I consider that to be treating the symptom instead of the problem. Besides, CE limits PLC signals to 5V so anything sold in Europe will have to avoid using "boosters" (unless their output is limited to 5V). The RF frequency they've chosen is illegal in Europe so maybe they plan to skip that market.

Are all of the devices capable of both RF and PLC? If their PLC protocol is faster than X-10 how do they maintain backward compatibility? There are mentions of "simultaneous" commands - is their signal somehow embedded in the X-10 signal? How do you know whether to send an X-10 command or an Insteon command to a specific device?

Many of the articles mention it is capable of 128-bit AES(?) encryption and one says it can be used for garage door openers. Unless it uses rolling codes, I can open the garage door in a matter of seconds no matter the length of the encryption key. I really see little value to such encryption for HA purposes.

What are the details of its two-wayness? If each device can receive RF and acknowledge receipt via PLC, it would be a step in the right direction. If the devices only communicate with the SignaLinc, it's less so but, again, without details it's hard to form valid judgements.

If they are only going to release such details to "qualified" developers as they've done with the USB interface then we may never know the details.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I had a great post ready, but I decided not to submit it for several reasons, and you are doing a great job on your own making yourself look like a fool. I was browsing with my PocketPC when I responded to your post, so I didn't notice the name of the original poster until I already hit submit, so for that I apologize (and I definitely don't want to waste my time with you).

Reply to
Dan

Here's another link...

formatting link
While this appears to be posted by another SmartHome shill and doesn't give any detailed technical specs, it does appear that I guessed right about the two SignaLinc RF units being used in lieu of a phase bridge.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Here is some more information for you guys:

formatting link

Reply to
ForTheBuddha

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.