INFO: The latest from Symantec - "Winfixer"

"Winfixer" has now been identified as a security risk.

formatting link
The software to install this program comes up as a pop-up/pop-under at websites that utilize "kounter.com". It's a wicked little sucker in that it's persistent, and if you're not careful you could accidentally execute the installer on your computer. There are several hundred websites that use "kounter.com". One that's quoted here frequently is Bass Burglar Alarms.

I would strongly recommend you employ a pop-up blocker. If you're using IE, you can download the Google Toolbar which employs an excellent blocker, or you can configure it to block pop-ups by changing your security settings in the "Tools/Internet Options" menu. Click on the "Security" tab and the "Custom Settings" button. You can then scroll down and click "enable" on the pop-up blocker option. Mozilla's Firefox also employs an excellent blocker.

Robert will (of course) deny there are any pop-ups/pop-unders on his website, but if you've configured your Browser to "clear cookies" when you close it (or use Norton's "Clean Sweep"), you are at risk of encountering "Winfixer" when you visit his site.

This has been a public service announcement and is not intended as a flame.

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Attack on Robert Bass deleted.

The usual hatchet job from frank for his masters in the group for "alarm professionals". Based on the lack of honesty of Frank and his buddies, the definition I have of "alarm professionals" would not be repeatable in polite company.

WinFixer is not a SECURITY risk. It is an annoyance that pops up IF YOU MANUALLY INSTALL IT.

I opened

formatting link
with the pop up blocker off, on a computer that I have never used to view the site, no pop up.

I then used Google to search for the link between Winfixer and the counter Robert uses. Apparently there is NO CONNECTION except for series of flames from the "alarm professionals".

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

No just an outright lie.

Reply to
wkearney99

Since when is the truth an attack??

That's funny. Symantec identifies it as one. You read about as well as Robert.

Delete your "cookies", and files. I get a pop-up/pop-under every time. Winfixer seems to "rotate" as a pop-up with a bunch of other ones. It doesn't appear every time, but when it does, its persistance is notable. On all eleven of our systems, it's timed almost perfectly. You go to close one window and the cursor moves to a second one that comes up with "Yes" (install the software) on it.

Heh... So have you actually looked at the coding on Robert's pages?? The javascript lines that read:

" function popUp(contentLink){ var nameBrowser = navigator.appName; var verBrowser = navigator.appVersion.substring(0,1); if (nameBrowser == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && verBrowser

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank, please post a reference which correlates kounter.com with winfixer.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

This is the code in the home page that is invoking the script for the pop up:

And this is the code that actually launches the pop up from the Kounter page:: (actual link changes as it is rotating I imagine)

var winfeatures="width=800,height=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,toolbar=1,locati­on=1,menubar=1,status=1,directories=1"

win2=window.open("

formatting link
","",winfeatures)win2.blur() window.focus()

JJ_reset()

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

formatting link
Which doesn't mention winfixer at all. In fact, you're the first one in that thread to mention winfixer. You provided a link to the winfixer site.

Other people in the thread subsequently started complaining of winfixer popups.

And you say Bass is spreading it?

PS - if you get the winfixer popups, the malware is already installed. The popup isn't being generated by the site being visited, it's being generated by a bug your computer has picked up.

It's tenacious. I had it for a month before any of the security sites even mentioned it. As always the gladiator security forms helped me out.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

You're right. The Kounter.com script "rotates" different pop-up screens for each "session". "Winfixer" does eventually "come around". The same individual that originally posted this code also posted the list of pages that pop-up. Go back in the thread and you'll find it. Robert insists it's not there and even goes so far as to call me a liar. A number of individuals have experienced it though (and a few aren't even in the group you guys refer to as "his regular detractors". "Matt Ion" for one.

No. He's only using Kounter.com on the bassburglaralarms.com site. His three other shopping sites don't use it so you don't experience pop-ups with them.

Nope. You're wrong. I don't have "malware" installed on any of the systems at work nor the six systems at home. They're all running Norton anti-virus/worm protection and Microsoft's anti-spyware software.

I agree. It's not only tenacious, but removing it from your system, if you're unlucky enough to install it, is a major pain as well (judging from the instructions provided by Symantec).

Reply to
Frank Olson

"Frank Olson" wrote.

Even if I believed that you spoke the truth, it can be made into an attack. I have seen nothing to indicate that you have said anything that is true in your comment, except that Robert's web site is

formatting link
and that he uses the Kounter.com hit counter.

There are many groups that track spyware including ones that you have to install yourself, like the one you claim Robert uses. It's funny, I can't find any comments from any of them that the kounter.com code installs anything.

Your vendetta against Robert for his supposed sins against the professionals is legendary here.

Why don't you get a life of your own or just stay in the group with the dishonest "professionals" that you seem to model yourself after.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Of course. I'm a notorious liar. I've even lied about the number of complaints on file at the Better Business Bureau about Robert. There aren't really thirteen.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

This wasn't an "attack".

You'd have to "degrade" your security settings then, to view it. Disable "pop-up blocker" if you're using IE. Clear "cookies" and files from your cache. A number of other individuals have done this and *all* have experienced "Winfixer" or other annoying "pop-unders".

kounter.com won't install the software. You have to. As for comments calling me a "liar", those are completely unfounded and your repeating them falls into the "flame" category. When Robert only recently flamed me, my response was what??

There you go with that word "vendetta". Robert doesn't even know who I am and has yet to be able to prove anything he's said about me (including where I work).

My "life" is just fine. I come here to learn and be entertained. I no don't resort to flaming individuals, calling them liars, or trying to denigrate them through innuendo, misleading remarks, or childish comments.

Reply to
Frank Olson

X-No-archive: yes On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:26:12 GMT, Frank Olson used recycled pixels to say:

Another reason to surf the internet with Active-X and Java turned

*OFF*!!!!

------------------------------------------------ Autobot This Spammers!

mailto:postmaster@127.0.0.1 (to reply to actual address, dispense the dots before and after sirname.

Reply to
The Alien

Well, that about says is all.

Reply to
wkearney99

And this response contributes what to the Group, exactly?? Robert frequently calls me a "liar". He's never been able to substantiate that statement (and neither have you). By all means, let's allow him to run roughshod over anyone because he's a "regular contributor". Let's ignore years of turmoil he's created in other Newsgroups for no other reason than to bolster his rather fragile ego. Let's let him peddle his wares in the group in contravention of your charter. Let's "turn the other way" when he calls Dave Houston a liar or posts idiotic advice and deliberately misleading comments based on his "years of installation experience" and need for "one-up-man-ship".

"Winfixer" is a security threat - FACT BassBurglarAlarms.com has pop-up ads (which sometimes includes active scripting to install "Winfixer") - FACT

I've seen many of you complain about pop-up advertising at the X-10 site but at least that's topical and doesn't pose a risk to your computer. I wouldn't have mentioned "Winfixer" if it didn't show up on the Symantec website. Yes, you have to install it, but if you actually examine the way the different windows pop up as you try and close them, it would be fairly easy to *accidentally* install it.

Where have I flamed Robert in over a year?? What's been my response to the times he's deliberately tried to provoke me here?? Or in ASA?? When have I addressed him as anything but "Robert" (predomminately), or "Bass" (rarely) in over a year??

Your hypocrisy makes any statement concerning my interaction with this particular individual about as phony as a nine dollar bill.

Reply to
Frank Olson
[Frank Olson's obsessive compulsive disorder meds appear to have worn off, compelling him to write:]

FO: > >>Since when is the truth an attack??

Since when would *we* ever believe that *you* are telling the truth?

Bill F. was somewhat more charitable than I in evaluating your claims:

Sure it wasn't. Codswallop. For whatever reason, your obsession with Bob Bass has overwhelmed you again and you couldn't keep it to yourself. Mental health professionals would be suspicious because various psychological symptoms usually escalate around the holidays.

BF: > > Your vendetta against Robert for his supposed sins against the professionals

Most of us know one when we see one. Most of us.

BF:> > Why don't you get a life of your own or just stay in the group with the

I'm sure John Hinckley feels "fine" about things, too. That's not the measure of whether you are a functioning, contributing member to the society. You've drawn flak from some well-respected posters. A smart man would realize that he's not making any friends or converts and move on.

You come here to stalk Bob Bass. Period. Please don't insult our intelligence to try to claim differently. You hate him, you wish him ill and every so often you just boil over and can't hold yourself back anymore. And that's despite REPEATED admonitions that no one cares about your vendetta but you. Anyone who really cared to be a contributing member of CHA would not behave as you do. While you may not think so, *you* are the one that's as easy to spot a "nine dollar bill."

Your whole EXISTENCE seems to be devoted to flaming Bob Bass. I've been to ASA. I know what you say THERE when you're trying to "behave yourself" HERE. There's a simple proof that you're only here for Bob Bass. Google your posts when HE was on vacation. Seems when he's gone, you're gone too. Hmmm . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Now that's what I call "adult"...

How about telling us when I wasn't. And backing it up with some solid proof.

Your opinion means absolutely "diddly" to me couched in the flame it started out with.

You just gotta post in every thread in which I respond or have anything to say that mentions Robert, don'tcha?? Sorta makes you wonder who's "off the meds".

Do you even know what the word means?? I doubt it.

Uh-huh... and comparing me to John Hinckley accomplishes exactly what??

That's not what Spock's Mom said.

Yup... uh-huh... exactly. When did you say you were leaving?? :-)

Nope.

You actually have intelligence?? This post certainly doesn't reflect that.

I've never wished him ill.

Usually only when Robert calls me a liar.

There you go with that "vendetta" thing again. I really don't think you know what that word means.

I've helped out where I can. I didn't think I deserved the response I got from Robert when I asked a simple question. Like "when was the last time he worked on a Napco 9600"??

I would hope so... I like to think I "dress for success"...

Where have I "flamed him" in the last year??

Good for you... I haven't. It may not be appropriate to tell you this, but it's not "a place"...

Really?? What have I said that isn't the truth (in other words a "flame")?

I think you'd better check that again. I got to way past "twelve".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Effectively compares disturbed behavior.

Sure it does, you just can't bring yourself to believe it's you that's the problem. The rest of us see it but, hey, the delusional are often the last ones to notice their problem. Wake up Frank.

Yeah, like extra-long sleeves that buckle in the back, eh?

Reply to
wkearney99

Can't effectively flame on your own... ya gotta horn in on someone elses conversation, eh?? Nice!!! How about responding to my post?? You can't, can you?? Got no answer but to add this "witty" remark.

Uh-huh... I see a bunch of mostly decent folks here. Intelligent, hard working and willing to share their knowledge of home automation. I understand you don't want to "rock the boat" too much when it comes to bending the rules of the charter but it looks to me that if you're a regular contributor you can pretty well get away with anything. So once I'm up past fify or so "helpful posts", I'll start advertising the products I sell every chance I get... I'll make certain to use phrases like "I sell so I'm a little biased", and "there's lot's more information about that here (link to item's catalogue page complete with "buy me" button and shopping cart link)". The way I figure it, that's about 18 or so posts away. Oh... and I'll remember to add a few comments here and there about how "you should really try installing one day" and "it's fun learning something new" whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I don't have one of those. I've looked at a few but their colour selection is so limited... The "white" just isn't "white enough" (if you know what I mean), and I really don't like the way the bib attaches...

I have a better suggestion for you there, Mr. Kearney. Plonk me.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Isn't it sad that what so obvious to you, me and many others is completely opaque to someone in pursuit of a obsessive-compulsive vendetta. Frank just can't see the forest for the trees. Extending the analogy, what I can't figure out is who FO's trying to impress. Who's your Jody Foster, FO?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

LOL, good one Bobby!

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.