Removed Symantec IS

melvin wrote: I'm looking for a new

Mel, most "packages" aren't worth 2 s**ts. If you really feel you need these things, go for best of class stand-alone applications.

Reply to
optikl
Loading thread data ...

Hi All,

I have removed Symantec Internet Security 2004, and my computer is running like new again. Despite upgrading memory, and spending hours on the customer support site, it never worked correctly.

I had to update IE to load it, and it totally corrupted my system. Explorer still hangs whenever I move/remove a large amount of files.

This was a good product at one time, I have upgraded every version for the last 4 years. Has anyone else had problems ?

MEL

Reply to
melvin

Nothing but problems with the entire Symantec product line ever since a few years before they began forcing annual subscription renewals of signatures. Total POS, IMO.

Reply to
MyndPhlyp

You need to know that there are two different Symantec lines - the home user and the Corporate. The Corporate line is fast, compact, very efficient, and does not require a yearly renewal for AV software.

Reply to
Leythos

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in news:K9F1e.6912$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Agreed ! What do you think about McAfee and their Firewall ? I'm looking for a new antivirus/firewall package.

Thanks, MEL

Reply to
melvin

I'm not exactly fond of McAfee either ... or Panda.

Application-level firewalls aren't really necessary (IMO, of course) unless the user has a tendency to stray from the well traveled paths. I opted for an appliance firewall (currently a PIX 501 but the sub-$100 units will do most people just fine). Besides, application firewalls tend to eat more of my resources than I care to lose. Banner ads and pop-ups are a PITA, but they can be crippled using the options on many browsers and those that remain get ignored anyway.

Virus protection is what /*everybody*/ on the 'Net needs, IMO. I cannot guide you to a good virus protection vendor at this moment. I haven't yet taken the time to research the offerings. I can assure you it will be one of the "new kids on the block" hungry for customers and willing to solve problems rather than create them.

Reply to
MyndPhlyp

Every computer we scanned using AVG in a sorority before putting them on the house network that was running McAfee was compromised by one or more viruses (most had 30+ in the machines). The only clean machines in the lot of 40+ were running Norton AV 2004 with updated sigs, but even some of those were compromised. None of the McAfee systems were clean.

Reply to
Leythos

Ages my Symantec PC was a little slow (but nothing too seriously debilitating) so I did a complete scan and then changed from scanning on read to scanning on write. It made a noticable improvement.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Clay

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.