CM15A

I have continued to kick around possible designs for a CM15A daughterboard to replace the MCU that X-10 is using.

I think I finally have a workable design and am about to order a handful of prototype boards for testing. It will be a month or more before I have the prototypes and can start testing and is likely to be several weeks after that before it will be available.

The daughterboard is 0.830" x 1.200" and plugs into the socket in place of the Cypress MCU. If your MCU is not socketed I recommend that you desolder it and install a socket. That way you can always go back to the original MCU.

Two versions are planned. One will have a serial interface (RS-232 but

0-5V). The other will use USB but, on the PC end, use virtual com port drivers which are available for W98SE, W2K & XP, OS X, and Linux. PC software can be the same for both the RS232 and USB versions as the VCP acts like a standard RS232 port. The RS232 version requires an adapter cable (USB to CM15A, DB-9F to PC).

The board has a PIC16F88 with a small bootloader so its firmware can be changed over the serial or USB link. The PIC16F88 will handle communications with the PC (using its hardware USART), the EEPROM (using the PIC's SCL & SDA pins), PLC, and RF out.

There is also a PIC12F683 which handles the RF receiver and manages an RS485 network. The RS485 network can include additional RF receiver modules which will allow inputs from devices that use other frequencies (e.g. 418MHz used by many touchscreen remotes). The firmware will handle standard X-10 RF, security X-10 RF, Digimax 210 thermostat RF, and Ninja/Robocam RF.

The CM15A EEPROM is 8K which is 8 times the size used in the CM11A. I plan to include support for an optional 32K EEPROM (will require soldering to replace the existing EEPROM). I recommend adding an external eggbeater antenna (and preamp, if necessary). Replacing the antenna requires soldering two connections.

The firmware will include many of the features that I built into the BX24-AHT. I'll provide free Windows interface software (similar to that for the BX24-AHT) but will leave it to others to write something for other operating systems.

If others want to develop firmware for it, the boards can be supplied without the PIC16F88 (PDIP). The PIC12F683 can be supplied preprogrammed or developers can program it themselves via ICSP.

I think it will cost $35-40. Developer boards will cost about half that (w/o PIC16F88). Since it does not disturb any of the RF hardware, there are no FCC issues to deal with.

Schedules assume the prototype boards work and my health holds up for a few more months.

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Dave, Have you been able to do any work in this direction?

Mecanic

------------------------------------- Dave Houst> I have continued to kick around possible designs for a CM15A

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.home.automation - 4006 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Mecanic

I have five RS-232 and five USB boards (one of each is populated) but I haven't gotten very far with the firmware. My health makes it really tough to handle major, lengthy projects as I can't spend enough hours per day to maintain continuity.

But, I haven't given up yet - I'm still try>

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.