Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

BobbyG attacks me for an accidental typo and then make a different typo in the very same word in his personal attack on me. Hypercriticism breeds hypocrisy ( c.h.a. notation is hyp_3 --> hyp_4 ;-)

Hippo-speak is a euphemism for other words that aren't nearly so gentle that accurately apply to what BobbyG writes. The direct language is hyperbolic hypothetical, hypersensitive hypocrisy. Forthwith dubbed "hyp-speak" or hyp-speak". (My choice -- BobbyG has used up his.)

I would think that BobbyG would prefer the gentler "sophomoric" to its dictionary meaning.

Merriam Webster's Dictionary online definition :

"conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature"

The words that BobbyG omitted were the central ones of "overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed". I wonder why ;-)

No it is not. I succinctly wrote what I meant and meant what I wrote in when I used the word "schadenfreude" several years ago, as it related to my judgment of the motives a different person. As I wrote then, I wrote what I meant and I meant what I wrote. BobbyG is not privy to the all interactions that lead me to that conclusion demonstrating once again that BobbyG is "overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed".

accomplishments, whether asked to or not.

Probably true. But not all people who explain their accomplishments, experiences and credentials are conceited.

For example, folks who pretend to be doctors and dentists and attorneys and can't produce credentials can go to the slammer.

One could probably google up the entire 'book ' contents of a four-year medical degree. Does BobbyG think that would make him an MD ?

ROTFL "Using needlessly large words"? It doesn't take a high school degree to know that "sophomore" is shorter than "ninth-grader".

And BobbyG is "overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed" if he thinks that there is a shorter word that is a direct English equivalent to the other "S" word that puzzles him. I spoke German before English, but forgot most of it, but still know that as German words go, schadenfreude ain't all that long. I also know from actual life-long personal experience in communicating in a variety of languages that sometimes there is no good translation.

even in adult situations. Clear now?

Barnyard? What barnyard? Did I inadvertently touch a raw nerve with the 'hippo" usage on some other grounds? If so, I apologize.

Henceforth I will use "hyp-speak" or "hyp-talk" as a euphemism for hypothetical, hyperbolic, hypercritical, hypocrisy. I like the coinage in part because it is gentler that those words by themselves. And besides, it better meets BobbyG's need for short words.

"He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid him. " "He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. "

and so on ...

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult
Loading thread data ...

I guess I missed this post from BobbyG. Talk about nerve! Yes, I own two homes on two continents -- one in the USA and one in Brazil. I travel between here and there two to three times a year.

BobbyG implies that by owning two homes I am ignoring the plight of the homeless. What BG doesn't know is that my wife and I support an orphanage and a free day care center for poor children living in the favelas in Brazil. We also distribute clothing, school books and other necessities to a few dozen children. What does BG do for the homeless while he runs about in his gas guzzling SUV?

I can't begin to imagine how BG's bathroom habits became material for this discussion.

I'm stumped! How does anyone else's use or Bobby G's nonuse of energy saving lighting affect the way I maintain my homes? I've seen strange logic in Usenet before but this one boggles the mind.

My Brazilian residence is small and moderately efficient. There is no furnace but the place is in the tropics. There are air conditioners in the bedrooms but we only turn them on during the worst nights. Most of the time the sea breeze through the windows is comfortable enough for sleep.

My American residence is another story. I got it less than 2 years ago. It needs more insulation and the two HVAC systems need to be upgraded and zoned. The sliders and windows all need to be replaced but Florida requires "hurricane glass" and it's not in the budget yet.

We do heat the pool and the Jaccuzzi with solar and I'm taking bids on a solar water heater. I have an ELK-M1G home automation system which I will install as soon as I'm strong enough to climb around in the attic again. BobbyG will have to pardon me for not getting right to these improvements. I'm recovering from cancer and as yet unable to do much.

What is Bobby's excuse for that fridge, the SUV and the wasteful lighting.

True, but he would pretend he never read it.

I used to ride my bike but can't just now. Instead I ride a small scooter in Brazil that gets ~65mpg. My US bike gets ~45mpg. I only use the Odyssey (~28mpg, IIRC) if I have to carry something too big for the scooter or if I'm taking more than one passenger with me.

I work at home so my commute is about 150 feet. :^)

Exactly.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bobby G. "implies" nothing of the kind. As usual, you're "spinning off" on a tangent.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.