ControlLinc Maxi

Anyone else out there using one? I just got mine today and they seem to solve the problem of not being able to access more than one housecode easily. Some nice programmable features, too. Not bad for $39 but I'd prefer it in an RF configuration.

It's also a LOT bigger than I expected which won't help with SAF, but the fact that it's got a cover with 5 buttons for simpletons and will be replacing two maxi X-10 controllers by the beside will probably make it acceptable to SWMBO.

Fortunately you can expand those 5 any housecode commands to 10 through the setup program. The way they have it set, they leave the ON/OFF DIM/BRIGHT buttons still visible at the bottom with the lid closed, which might leave someone marginally familiar with the X-10 unit to punch in an extra ON which in this case is ALL PROGRAMMABLE UNITS ON.

It's got lots of features that I will never use in all probability but some of them will come in quite handy like the ability to send pre-set dims from the console. Their scheme gives you 100 presets to choose from. It will also be handy when troubleshooting to be able to send all sorts of commands from any unit/housecode combo. I've noticed that it also retries commands when the powerline isn't clear. Not sure how long a delay it's set for, but it does seem to work with single commands. I'm not sure it would wait for an entire macro to execute.

A number of other interesting features are the ability to send ALL UNITS ON, ALL LIGHTS OFF for up to 10 housecodes at a time, IIRTMC.

They also seem to infer that this device will control Insteon modules but I think the excerpt below from their manual at:

formatting link
is probably a misprint and they meant X-10 instead of Insteon in the second paragraph:

? To turn ON all and X10 Devices linked to the addresses programmed to all 5 of the On/Off Button Pairs, tap the ON Button. ControLinc Maxi will beep and its Status LED will blink off once. Dimmable modules will go to whatever On-Level they were set up for, at whatever Fade Rate they were set up for. Switchable modules will immediately go full on.

? To turn OFF all INSTEON and Devices linked to the addresses programmed to all 5 of the On/Off Button Pairs, tap the ALL OFF Button. ControLinc Maxi will beep and its Status LED will blink off once. Dimmable modules will go full off at whatever Fade Rate they were set up for. Switchable modules will immediately go full off.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Great! I paid $10 more each for something half as capable. Color me DIM.

:-(

He who doeth not his homework getteth reamed. IIRC I did see the 2430 device but the warning about using it with Boosterlinc steered me away. I realize now I should have opted for the 2430. Still, the "X-10 Only" MaxiLinc is a great way to access 256 housecodes from the same controller an solves some very serious bedside issues for me.

Still, I didn't see any reason for getting an Insteon-capable device if I didn't need it

My next house will have CAT5 running to all the electrical loads. No adjoining neighbor issues, no RF interference. Insteon looks nice but it's still a wall-wart based technology and that has pretty low SAF.

I like the idea of ten programmable any(unit/house) buttons and appreciate they've recessed the keys so that it's very hard to activate them accidentally. Nice, big area for labels - heck, it looks as if it could pass the outrageously severe and downright merciless Mother In Law test.

They should have considered some sort of backlighting for the most important keys. It looks as if a label could be printed up on glow-in-the-dark printing paper. I have no idea where to FIND such paper, but I do clearly remember thinking to myself when I saw it - who would ever need sheets of glow in the dark paper!

I guess I should post my intentions to buy equipment here *before* I actually buy something so that I don't pay more for less again.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

In reading up on these some more it appears you made a good choice in spending the extra $10 for X10 only control. The one you bought allows you to control all X10 codes by pressing House, Unit and Command codes "on the fly" and has all the buttons to do it. The cheaper unit controls Insteon and X10 devices but only 5 units total. The X10 buttons under the cover are used to program a House and Unit code to any one of the 5 channels available when the cover is closed so they really are two different products. In fact, since I'm using an X10 translator to control Insteon devices, I ordered one of these myself.

Reply to
BruceR

Reply to
Dave Houston

In comparing the two, I agree that the Controllinc maxi is much more flexible for X10. I got one just today. I've been laid up with a broken ankle for 6 weeks now, and am looking forward to controlling any device (I use 7 different house codes) while sitting on the couch, and without a screw driver!

What surprised me however, is the only instructions included was a one sheet "quick start" set of instructions, and I must download and print the full manual.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Butt Ugly! to be exact. The thing is just too damn big for what it is. I'm sure they'll have new designs in the not-too-distant future though.

Reply to
BruceR

They've done that with all their new products. I guess they figure most people will be happy with the Quickstart so they'll save some trees.

Reply to
BruceR

Reply to
Dave Houston

Great! Now I feel less stupid. Originally, I thought the ControlLinc Maxi X-10-only controller had that same limitation but digging into the PDF manual I had to *download* it showed how to use the 10 buttons discretely.

I think the ControlLinc Maxis have enormous potential for both casual and power X-10 user alike but so far, it's failed the SAF test. I had concealed the two X-10 Maxi's in the nightstand drawers. The new ControlLinc Maxi will neither fit nor operate from the old position inside the nightstand drawers, so for now the units sits on my desk in the den. Unless I can conceal it in a way that preserves its open and closed functionality, it may be an idea that's ahead of its time for my house - or at least for bedside control.

That's too bad because it's remarkably competent in a number of ways, particular with strings of commands and channel control operations. Had these babies been available 10 years ago, my X-10 numbering scheme would probably be quite different. What would really be nice is have some key ControlLinc Maxi features in an X-10 Maxi footprint.

There's no need for a separate housecode keypad. Just label keys 1-A, 2-B etc. and have one "Housecode" key to press to use a housecode other than the default.

Anyone who uses multiple housecodes should really consider getting one of these. To paraphrase AZ: "Freedom from the screwdriver at last!"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I definitely agree with you in general about the need/usefulness of this item, but since you keep complaining about needing a screwdriver...are you aware of this product?

formatting link
Basically it lets you change the codewheel by just turning a knob, instead of needing a screwdriver. I don't have any myself, but if i found myself changing codewheels on my palmpad all the time, i'd definitely get a few.

Robert Green wrote:

Reply to
random735

Those little knobs are handy but surprisingly difficult to turn. If it had little "wings" to grab or was taller it would be much easier and more practical.

Reply to
BruceR

formatting link

Own a bag full. Won't work on UR24s, Maxicontrollers and some the older PalmPads. Since the primary X-10 controllers here are UR24's and X-10 Maxi's, they were interesting, but not very useful as they are small and hard to grab. Thanks for the pointer, though.

I've glued a tiny neodynium magnet fragment to the sides of all the PalmPads I have. It, it turn, holds a standard paper clip which works remarkably well to turn the PalmPad dials. The new ControlLinc Maxi's going to be a lot more convenient to use since I can just push P 1 ON or A 2 OFF and never have to reach for a twistbutton, a screwdriver or a paperclip!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.