Zone Alarm / Router conflict

Zone Alarm automatically picks the internet IP range, but the range it picks occasionally conflicts with the range used by the Westell wireless router. Specifically, Zone Alarm automatically sets the internet IP range as 192.168.1.41 - 255.255.255.0. However, the router often assigns IP addresses at the beginning of this range (such as

192.168.1.41). Putting this address in the trusted IP range does not help, as then the internet and trusted ranges overlap and it seems that the internet range dominates. Trying to edit the internet IP range does not work -- Zone Alarm does not allow it. As a result, the machine assigned the offending IP address cannot see -- or be seen by -- the network (though it can ping and be pinged).

So: How can Zone Alarm's internet IP range be manually set or changed?

Reply to
cvt7
Loading thread data ...

It doesn't do that on my system. >Specifically, Zone Alarm automatically sets the

Zone Alarm, on my system, gets this info from the router.

On my system the trusted zone dominates, as it should.

I am able to edit anything I wish by merely clicking the edit tab in the lower right hand corner. Doesn't yours work that way? Computers with addresses in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx are hidden because, by design, these addresses are not routable. Your router can be pinged, but your computers with addresses in this range cannot.

Zone Alarm, on my system, has no internet IP range. My router definitely does though. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for the response. ZA 5.5 is running on 4 networked Windows PCs. On each one, there is an internet-zone network defined with IP range

192.168.1.41/255.255.255. (I did not create these entries). The name of this network is the name of the ethernet adapter on each machine. I have been trying to find out who/what sets that IP range. I cannot edit this network. If I try to do that, Zone Alarm pops up an error: "You cannot edit... an Active Adapter Subnet". For DHCP, the router uses the range 192.168.1.15/192.168.1.47 -- the last 7 addresses of which overlap the internet network range.

I got to believe that the overlap range was interpreted as "internet" rather than "trusted" because extending the trusted zone did not immediately solve the problem. However, it now appears that you are correct -- and overlap addresses do work on the network. Perhaps it took a shutdown/restart, or there was some other propagation delay somewhere. So as of now the problem seems to have gone away. But I am still curious how that internet zone IP range that starts at

192.168.1.41 was created. Perhaps it's the router that is feed> > Zone Alarm automatically picks the internet IP range, but the range it
Reply to
cvt7

Yes, all of the 192.168.x.x addresses should (I say should because there is surely an exception somewhere) be assigned by the router. It is odd that the router starting address is no 192.168.1.1 though. Jim

Reply to
Jim

The info on the router DHCP IP range comes from the router manual. That range can be edited, but I don't want to play with the router if possible. (This router is distributed by Verizon to all their DSL customers). For me, the mystery still is -- how is the internet zone range set in the public network? And why does it include half of the private range 192.168.xxx.xxx?

Reply to
cvt7

It is time for you to start reading the book on the router (you can read can't you) These were apparently set up by Verizon in the router. Start dissecting their configuration. ZA doesn't ser anything. Your PC and router config set it...

Reply to
Woody

Hey Woody what's your problem. You are suggesting that Verizon is setting up a public network over a private IP address range and you think every Verizon customer should read their router manual to figure this out? And they shouldn't post a question here until they have done that? Anyway, if Verizon is setting this up the answer is not going to be in the router manual -- will it? Verizon isn't giving out any tech details with the package -- none that are in any obvious place anyway. And how is a Verizon customer supposed to know where to look -- router, Verizon, or Zone Alarm? Seems to me you have to be an expert before you can know all that. Chill.

Reply to
cvt7

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.