Zone Alarm and Network Drives

Hi,

I'm a firewall newbie. I have the standard version of Zone Alarm installed on my work Windows XP computer. The computer also has Novel Client software installed to provide access to a networked drive.

Zone Alarm prevents access to my networked drive. There are no messages from Zone Alarm it just quietly 'kills' my networked drive, preventing it from even being displayed in 'My Computer'. Once I disable Zone Alarm and re-login to Novel, my network drive appears.

Obvious question, is there any of configuring Zone Alarm to allow access to network drives?

Many thanks.

Reply to
s.fowler
Loading thread data ...

Does your ZA Firewall/Zone setting have the network drive listed as an item and is it placed in the Trusted Zone? In the Firewall/Main tab, what's your Trusted Zone Security setting?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Hi Craig,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

My Trusted Zone Security setting is at the default, Medium.

No, my network drive has not been added to the Trusted Zone, which is most likely the cause of the problem. But how do I add a network drive to the Trusted Zone? Presumably, I would need its IP address, which I don't have. For everything else Zone Alarm displays a message asking me if I want this or that application to have access to the internet. However, when it comes to my network drive it just stops it working without any indication that there is a problem. If only it would ask, 'do you want access to your network drive', I could answer 'yes' and add it to the trusted Zone.

Stephen

Reply to
s.fowler

Go to ZA's Alerts & Logs tab, then the Log Viewer. My guess is that each time you try to access the network drive, you'll get a "blocked" Action Taken, most likely in the Firewall "Alert Type". If you right-click that line, you should be able to add the IP to your Trusted Zone. In case it matters, I'm basing my suggestions on using ZA Pro (the paid version) v6.5.737.000. Good luck. I suppose it could be possible that in ZA's Program Control, you could look for items related to the Novel Client software and tweak those settings--maybe someone else can help you there. Is there any chance that when you disable ZA and can see the network drive in My Computer, that right-clicking the drive may give you its IP address?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.