Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

Hello,

When trying to browse network drives while connected to VPN over a mobile broadband connection on a computer with Windows Vista Ultimate installed, I get the following error:

"\\networkdrive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

If I attempt to connect to a mapped network drive, I get a different error:

"An error occurred while reconnecting to \\networkdrive Microsoft Windows Network: The user name could not be found. This connection has not been restored."

I have been able to dupliate this on 2 separate laptops. The laptops are joined to a company's domain, then the employees take them out in the field and establish a mobile broadband connection using Dell's broadband software and the Verizon wireless data network. In the interest of testing, I've also connected using my Motorola Q phone as a bluetooth modem but this is also over the Verizon service. Anyway the service shouldn't matter since its encrypted traffic anyway right?

Now if I take this same laptop, and use a different company's internet connection, it will work. That is to say the laptop is still joined to my company's domain, but if I utilize an internet connection at a different company which is also in a domain environment, I can connect to my company's VPN and happily browse network drives all day. The problem seems to be how Vista has classified the internet connection. When I connect through mobile broadband, the Network and Sharing center shows it as a 'Public' connection and rightfully so. I'm just wondering if by classifying the connection as public vs. private triggers some additional security?

When using the latest version of Netscreen-Remote (from Juniper) a new Safenet Virtual Adapter connection will show up in the list of networks. I've checked the properties for both this virtual adapter and for the mobile broadband connection and NETBIOS is enabled on both connections. I can ping the network drives I'm trying to utilize, but I just can't browse to them using UNC or IP address. In order to ping them I did have to add them to the hosts files.

Anyway, I'm at a loss and don't know what else to try. I've been monkeying with this for about a month now, and have had a ticket open with Juniper support for as long. I've provided them with log files, screen shots, etc, and they are still working on it but I don't think they fully understand what the problem I'm reporting is.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I've wiped the laptop, re-installed Vista, dis-joined and re-joined the domain, changed passwords, tried multiple connection methods and laptops, checked and re-checked permissions to the drive... but I can't give up.

Thank you

Reply to
Phineas
Loading thread data ...

We had problems even making a connection with our Cisco VPN client until we disabled the Venturi compression software. You can disable it permanently by removing it from the Add/Remove Programs control panel or take these steps first if you want to confirm that it's the culprit:

1. open VZAccess Manager
  2. from pull-down menu select Tools-> Preferences
  3. click on the Venturi tab
  4. uncheck "Compress and accellerate WWAN connections"
  5. click OK

q.v.

formatting link
esp. if the uninstaller leaves some files behind.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you for responding. Dell's laptops come with a Dell mobile broadband software package that performs the same functions as VZAM but it must be slightly different as I do not see any entries for Venturi in my program list.

Additionally, I CAN browse network drives in the same exact setting by simply changing the OS to XP professional SP2. I also know that it is not a hardware issue, as I've got a dual install of XP and Vista on the same laptop I'm using to test. That also eliminates the possibility that's its related to account or drive security. It has to be something to do with the way Vista handles security when in a non-domain environment.

=3D> > the field and establish a mobile broadband connection using Dell's

Reply to
Phineas

Also having the same exact problem but with sonicwall vpn instead of cisco. I also don't have a venturi tab. Was there ever another fix found for this problem?

Reply to
mlevin

Take a look a

formatting link

Reply to
juliusganns

snikki had written this in response to

formatting link
: did you ever find a resolution for fixing the domain resource browsing? i am having the same issue, but do not have sonicwall or venturi installed.

------------------------------------- mlev> Also having the same exact problem but with sonicwall vpn instead of

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.security.firewalls - 27964 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
snikki

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.