Sharing internet access with other laptops (Verizon card or pay WIFI)

I do much of my work on the road and use either a Verizon Broadband card or in some areas T-mobile WIFI ($10/day) at a starbucks. There are times I am working with someone else who has a laptop, where it would be helpfull if I could share my internet access with them. Is there a way to share my laptop's internet access wirelessly or even wired with another laptop? Thanks

Reply to
techman41973
Loading thread data ...

I used to share dial-up on all the computers in my house. Once the dial-up is connected, all computers can access internet at the same time through the same computer that is connected using dial-up.

First you need to connect the two computers on some type of network, such as wired through router, twisted wire, USB or Fire-Wire, or wireless through access point or peer-to-peer.

Then set up the first computer as a gateway and second computer to access the internet through the first one.

Reply to
ZR

Check this out, it's a travel AP/router... I use it when travelling, it not only does broadband, but dial-up! (drop the TellMeMore.html part for the main URL).. Think of it as a portable pocket sized hotspot

formatting link
What is a WiFlyer? The WiFlyer is a dial-up wireless router - the only such product on the market - optimized for users with dial-up internet access. It is a complete communications hub with an integrated high-speed V.92 modem capable of supporting wired (Ethernet) and wireless network connections (Wi-Fi or

802.11b/g) to a number of PCs, laptops and/or PDAs. It is easy to set up and configure using Internet Explorer and requires no additional software. With its compact and portable size,

you can take it with you anywhere, and it can also serve as a broadband wireless router when connected to an Ethernet Internet connection. Won't do a card, but will use a regular phone line - better than nothin!

Not sure which verizon broadband card you have (some work, some don't, the asterisk in features means see the list of supported data cards/tethered phones), but consider the Kyocera KR1 Router

Enables wireless broadband network with 1xEV-DO PC card or phone* Supports high rates up to 2.4 Mbps (typical download speed of 400-700 Kpbs) Four Ethernet ports for wired connection

802.11b & g for wireless connection Advanced firewall and security control Easy configuration and set-up Smooth migration to future 1xEV-DO releases More Features
formatting link
Both devices are really cool, and wiflyer usually less than $125, and the Kyocera usually less than $189...
Reply to
Peter Pan

Perhaps enable ICS on your computer, and then connect the two computers together with an ethernet cable.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

That works but you need to use a "crossover" cable or put a hub/switch in the middle.

Reply to
Wayne.B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.