LOOKS LIKE COMPUTER ASSOCIATES ANTI-VIRUS GOT WHACKED TODAY

Based on the reports I am seeing around the Internet, it looks like Computer Associates and their E-Trust anti-virus download sites got either hit or infected this morning (Kama-Sutra???) as many folks are complaining that they cannot update AND the updating services turning their real-time scanning engines off, etc, etc, etc. Their website (which is always a hodge-podge mess to begin with) and help sites were running very slow when they were running at all and a friend tells me he was unable to get through on real-time chat with them after his java window reported there were 257 people waiting ahead of him for a rep to come online!!! After waiting four hours, he gave up. Their phone lines were also busy or unreachable during the daytime. What a mess.

Reply to
Rusty Nale
Loading thread data ...

In news:hhzEf.2967$ap3.855@trndny03, Rusty Nale had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

I can only confirm that my webslave (webmaster but he's not that good yet ) has been suffering an inability to connect for quite some time. My recommendation to him, with the influx of the latest worm being due, was to take a night off, drink beer, sleep, and ignore the PC until tomorrow as he's likely clean anyhow and he's checked with another AV application that's at least as capable as CA's stuff. (It took a bit to ween him from Norton so I'm happy that it's getting further.)

Galen

Reply to
Galen

Maybe the reason is another one. CA products can be stalled by malformed packets. If they are using them on their own servers, they have probably been the target of an "experiment".

See

formatting link

Gabriele Neukam

snipped-for-privacy@t-online.de

Reply to
Gabriele Neukam

Then again, Nyxem has no destructive payload that would cause server instability -- it deletes nonexecutable data types, and it can't even spread over network shares. I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone being a pain with malformed packets / DDOS / someone hitting the wrong switch in the server room, but it's definitely not "Kama Sutra" worm related.

Reply to
Nexus7

correct, this is not related to "kama sutra" worm though i find this an interesting conversation, will keep myself updated here.

Reply to
Zold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.