Multiple Wireless Problems

Hi,

Background... I have a combination wired and wireless network at home. ADSL Router: Dynalink RTA220 Series wired via an 8-port hub to two PCs [Vista Ultimate and XP Home] (all working okay) Wireless Access Point: rather old Cameo WLG2003c on 802.11g (connected to a an HP laptop [XP Pro] (okay) and two PCs [XP Pro and Vista Ultimate] (very poor connection as about 20 metres (60feet) and a few rooms away)

Changes... I have recently added a Wireless HomePlug Combo (NetComm NP295Starter - NP290W Wireless Homeplug and NP285 Turbo Homeplug) which has a pair of Ethernet 'plugs' for using the power circuit in the house to create a 'wired' connection to a wireless transmitter where the two PCs are located. In other words, one plug is Ethernet wired directly to the router (via the hub) into the power circuit and connects to the other plug (via the power supply circuit) which has a wireless transmitter which connects to the wireless USB transmitters attached to each PC.

When the network 'plugs' were connected, one PC [Vista] immediately discovered the wireless connection (when I selected it to refresh the wireless connections) and connected without any problem. No software was installed (as apparently it is not necessary anyway) - this connection was the default unsecured connection. I checked the Internet connection by going to Google - okay. I then went to the Web User Interface for the new devices to set up the network under a new name and to enable WPA for secured network. This is where everything went wrong.

Problems... I lost the connection to the Internet and I am unable to acccess the Web Interface. I have tried resetting the device several times, but although I get connected to the wireless plug with a strong signal I cannot access the Internet or the Web Interface. (i.e. seems to be a router issue?!) I have attempted reboots of the PCs, tried setting the connection up with the other PC [XP Pro] and my laptop, moving the plugs to different sockets, removing firewalls, resetting my router, but all with no success. I can't understand how it managed to work at the very beginning but even after several resets it has failed to get connected again.

After several hours of hair-pulling, I have since striped my entire network apart, reset everything and reconnected all the devices again. Still no joy.

And, now, my wireless Access Point won't allow WEP or WPA security either! The web Interface device for this says "the connection was reset" every time I attempt to enable encryption. Why? I don't understand.

So now I have an unsecure wireless connection taht can't be secured and no connection with the Home Plugs (even though the did in the beginning)

I have installed the software that comes with the device as well, during this earlier process and since, and it recognises the wireless plug, allows me to rename it but cannot seem to connect with the router (and therefore the Internet) to complete the installation process of the software package.

HELP!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Attilla the Hungry
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.