Windows based firewall

I need to replace my current router as it is malfunctioning. I have to say I am having a hard tim finding a hardware router that has the features I am looking for. Especially ones with good reviews. So it got me to thinking about taking one of my older PC's (700 MHz PIII) and using it as a firewall. I figured I could install two network cards in the PC where for the WAN (Internet) and one for my LAN (goes to a switch). I was hoping people might have some recomendations on what firewall software to use. I know there are many Linux apps out there that would fit the bill but since I am much more familiar with with Winodws I would rather use it as an OS for the firewall machine. Also I would not be using the PC for anything other than a firewall, with the exception of a VPN server if need be. These are the things I need to accomplish.

1) Share Internet connection 2) Allow secure VPN access to the LAN from the WAN. Does not have to be part of the firewall package (thought that would be nice), but rather needs to support full VPN passthrough. 3) Port mapping and redirection 4) DHCP server capability Thanks for any suggestions! - Dwok
Reply to
dwok
Loading thread data ...

Smoothwall will do everything you ask...but will require a couple of modifications to be installed as well.

However, Smoothwall is most definitely Linux...though you only really interact through a GUI in your browser window.

I have not personally heard of a comparable Window based solution, but just contemplating the possibility brings a frown. The whole premise behind a software package like Smoothwall, is to strip the system down to the very bone...leaving only enough code to accomplish the task and no more. It seems to me that ANY Windows based solution would be unnecessarily bloated.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Alsip

Thats to bad. Linux is just not an option for me at this point. I am sure Linux has many advantages but I don't have experience installing it and frankly I just have the time to learn how to do so at this point. I was hoping there might be a Windows type firewall that would be able to shut down all access to a PC except for it's firewall functionaility. I have taken a look at WinGate but I am not sure if it fits the bill.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Reply to
dwok

"dwok" wrote in news:1124472230.896872.12990 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You may want to look at Intergate. I installed the full trial version of Intergate on a Win 2K server a couple of years ago just to see what it was all about. I have to say I was impressed with the product. However, I did not get too deep into the product and moved on.

It was only cost $99 at the time.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Getting in on the end of this.. You don't have to know Linux. Just install SmoothWall on an old pc. I have it and it works great.. The only thing I needed was an old pc, I added 3 nic cards (1 for the internet side, 1 for the lan (my network) side and 1 (not used yet) for a pc that would bp on the DMZ and accessable from the internet..

Reply to
gene martinez

Almost any NAT box will do what you want - some have specific instructions on allowing INBOUND VPN (PPTP), but just about every NAT router on the market will do what you ask for.

Reply to
Leythos

formatting link
Not cheap, but good.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

But it can do nothing to improve security compared with the Windows-Firewall. So why paying money?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

MS Windows firewall is a personal firewall. Kerio Winroute Firewall is an enterprise level network firewall. Not in the same category.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have learned a lot and got a lot of good suggestions on different products. Thanks again!

- Dwok

Reply to
dwok

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.