Win98SE+ZAPro+Avast!(free)

I am running Win98se, Avast Home and ZA Free here on one machine with no problems.

Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

Anyone running the above combo? Any problems? I experienced booting to a blank desktop, occasionally.

Reply to
Buffalo

Why should one? With Windows 98, it's easy not unbind any service from the outside interface, so nothing must be filtered at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I get that on someone elses' Win Me machine. I think the ZA is the problem, but the real problem may be that the machine is running out of "resources" during boot mode. I know of no way to measure that. ZA's use of resources can be measured AFTER the bootup is finished, but I think ZA just maxes out the resources during the boot process. BTW, I have 45% resources after boot up. I switched the Me partition over to a Sygate firewall. Get'em before they are gone.

ZA 6 is a mistake on anything less than XP. ZA 5.5 is for 98SE or Me, I guess. But these desktopless bootups really tick me off.

I just put AVast on my Win 98SE machine a couple of weeks ago. I don't like the way it stops the scan everytime it finds something objectionable. I have to sit around for many hours while it scans and tend to its error messages from what it finds, or else it will just stop in the middle of the scan and not finish. What bullshit! Other programs would finish the scan and maybe even take care of the problem and let you know the results when you wake up 12 hours later. Norton NAV is bullshit on anything less than XP nowadays. AVG f***ed up on my machine just recently and had to be deleted. Panda 2004 f***ed up earlier this summer and had to be summarily dismissed. I'm running out of low-resource Anti-Virus programs to try out on Win 98SE. E-Trust was too much of a Resource Hog when I tried it a few months ago; and I tried the Firewall/AV solution from e-Trust and they had to go too.

Reply to
Cymbal Man Freq.

i have the same stuff on one of my computers without problems

Reply to
hp-ux

Could you explain how to do that? Thanks PS: I am behind a router: Linksys BEFSR41 and I like online gaming like Q3.

Reply to
Buffalo

From memory: right click on the outside interface, Properies, then unbind anything but the TCP/IP network protocol family from this interface.

Perhaps, then filtering on that router would be a good idea, too.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.