Which free firewall uses least memory?

My guess would be the built in one for XP or Kerio 2.1.5

Reply to
badgolferman
Loading thread data ...

Tell me more about Primedius. I've never heard of it.

Problem: My system is a 720 mhz running Windows ME. Memory is maxed out at 540 gigs.

I'm using Sygate (free), and have used two versions of it for a few years. I've always found it powerful and exceptionally informative. However, at least with the free version, I'm having a problem with all the time slices that it's taking from my processor.

I've also been running Avast antivirus. I've dropped one Avast "service" after another. Some services I don't need; others are questionable as to their true protection for my situation. But Avast, too, uses lots of processor slices, even with only the Standard Shield running. When I run Filemon, I can see what appear to be dozens of the processes from these two programs alternating with each other in groups sliding up the screen at a furious pace. These processes appear to be running almost constantly.

Surprisingly, in many cases, software runs with acceptable speed on my system. I notice some drag when using two applications that run in Java, since they're running in an operating system sitting on top of the Windows OS. But where these security routines get in my face is when I'm downloading MP3 radio programs off the web. Then, there are occasional annoying skips (momentary cutouts) -- I've traced this problem to these security programs running in the "background."

I know of no way to slow them down. I'd like some advice about how to either slow down these programs, or find less-vigilent alternatives.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Hiya,

I've just bought a cheap backup machine (P3, 866MHz, XP Pro) which currently only has 128MB of RAM but I'm getting another 128 in the next few days.

Initially I want to connect this machine to my main one using a crossover cable but I also want it to connect to the internet should my main machine go down.

I have AOL supplied McAfee Firewall on my main machine & I'm gonna try and install it on the other. If this doesn't work, could anyone tell me which freeware firewall uses the least memory/resources cos of the fact that the second machine will only have 256 MB of RAM - until I win the lottery of course, then I'll go mad & upgrade it to 384 MB.

Reply to
John Latter

Seconded!!! Agreed totally. I mean completely.

"The only company I hate more than Microsoft is AOL" Former data processing chief for a major US city.

I, too, have learned to give any and all AOL products a wide berth. A couple of times with new computers, I've idly clicked either the AOL or the Netscape icon on the desktop. Thereupon, there commenced a furious sequence of automatic installations of many programs -- both from AOL and also their "partners." Almost all of this was unwanted garbage services. And it took reformatting the hard disk to get their crap off my system. It's in the same class-of-shame as Real Player.

I learned to completely expunge this garbage from my systems, deleting entire directories, icons, registry entries -- all of this nightmare provided by Microsoft or the computer manufacturer (I don't know which) for a kickback.

I've also been underwhelmed with McAfee, which dates from my earliest use of their difficult interfaces both at home and on the job. And the job, two separate projects for a major telephone company, was where I brought home the nastiest and mostest viruses. With this antivirus software on the job, maintained by IBM, these nasties got through and even took down the office, once, for two days.

I learned the hard way that "small is beautiful" when it comes to much software and all internet providers. And that's one of the main reasons why you'll find me on this board.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

I just don't like AOL for any reason! It has proven to me over and over to be insidious, and weaves a web of entanglement all through your registry. AOL in itself is a power hungry resources eater.

Suggestion: Visit

formatting link
and take a look at the recommendations there for various programs, including firewalls. They have a rating system 1-5, with 5 being the absolute best. The most popularly used firewalls by freeware junkies like me seem to be Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Sygate. But, all of these still do not quite meet the standard of a FULL FIVE (5) rating of the freebie Primedius Firewall Lite. I used to employ Sygate until I found Primedius. Good Luck

Reply to
Chief Suspect

The download from Major Geeks seems to be an archived copy of a program that Primedius no longer offers. Primedius is now more interested in getting a person to subscribe to their anonymizer service. But hey, if the archived firewall

formatting link
works, what the heck.

Otherwise, here is a list of the freeware firewalls which have a MajorGeeks rating of 5:

Primedius Firewall Lite

(link above)

and:

Securepoint Personal Firewall & VPN Client 3.6

formatting link
It would be nice if there was an easy to find explanation of what the MajorGeeks rating is based on. I looked but couldn't find anything. Maybe somebody else will have better luck.

Reply to
John Corliss

Thanks everyone :)

I've used kerio 2.1.5 before but I'm going to have a look at Primedius too.

And from what Richard says, I might have to find an alternative to Avast.

Reply to
John Latter

It's still there, just hidden:

formatting link
No version number listed anywhere, though.

Reply to
CharlieDontSurf

I only have 128Mb RAM, and Zone Alarm seems fine for me.

Reply to
Badgerbreath

Thanks John :)

Reply to
John Latter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.