Whats the difference between a Router and a Hub?

The functions and are the data signals conditioned in both, etc

Reply to
bbnn
Loading thread data ...

Well, not exactly true. Most professional grade routers are just routers...home (ie low) grade routers sometimes do.

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

bbnn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews3.newsguy.com:

Google.com and dogpile.com are your friends. And most routers have a built in *switch*.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

A router moves traffic between two or more networks.

A hub passes any traffic on any port to all other ports - it has nothing to do with routing traffic. You can only have one conversation going on at a time between ALL of the ports.

A switch does not pass all traffic to all ports, it only passes traffic to the ports that are talking with each other - meaning you have had more than one conversation going on at a time (in general).

Reply to
Leythos

"Michael J. Pelletier" wrote in news:cQJYd.207963$0u.194017@fed1read04:

I wouldn't know what a professional router is. Maybe, you mean high-end router. That's like saying a Pinto cannot be used in a professional role because it's a Pinto. But a Benz can take on a professional role because it's a Benz. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane - routers didn't have switches/hubs until the SOHO units came out for residential use. Routers are not really the proper term for the SOHO units like D-Link/Linksys/Netgear, they are hybrid units that do routing and other functions.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.lan:

So what is this WG SOHO 6 router I have a hybrid? I think I can trun it into switch.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Actually, you could turn it into a switch, disable DHCP and don't use the WAN port and it will work as a switch. It's a firewall, not a router. Firewalls may contain routers and switches.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.