difference between Repeater,hub,bridge, switch,router, gateway

Hi all

as far as i understand the difference between Repeater,hub,bridge, switch,router, gateway are as follows , how correct is my understanding ?

Repeater

Forwards every frame it receives it is a generator,not an amplifier(i.e it removes noise & regenerates signal ) Bi-directional in nature Useful in increasing ethernet size/length Maximum of 5 Repeaters in an Ethernet

Hub

basically a multiport repeater can be used to divide a single LAN into multiple levels of Hierarchy

Bridge

connect similar/dissimilar LANS Designed to store and forward frame Protocol independent Transparent to End Stations Operates in Layer-1 & Layer-2 uses a table for filtering/routing does not change the Mac address in the frame two types of bridges are there Transparent/source routing

Switch

A fast Bridge. Common forwarding approaches used include Cut through,collission free & Fully buffered

Routers

Links dissimilar n/ws not transparent to end stations acts on a network layer frame isolates LAN to subnets to manage & control traffic

Gateway

uses Layer -7 Relay

Reply to
annalissa
Loading thread data ...

(snip)

There are different rules for different ethernet media, but I believe 5 is right for 10baseT. In the usual 10baseT case it is determined by loss of inter-packet gap, and not by round trip time limits for collision detect. Even with six 150m cables you will still be below the time limit.

Five is convenient as it allows for a central repeater connected to repeaters, each connected to more repeaters.

-- glen mo

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

hmmm - I undersood that repeaters were permitted to, and did, eat the preamble during clock synchronisation and that this was a constraint to the number of repeaters.

5 is correct by the way.

I have the idea that later repeaters synchronised more quickly and ate fewer bits but that the standard was not changed.

Not at all sure tho' and to be honest no longer care:)

Seems like a homework question.

Reply to
bod43

bod43 wrote: (snip, I wrote)

Well, there are the model 1 rules and the model 2 rules. The model 2 rules are more exact and more complicated.

Yes, by now if you are still using multiple repeaters, you should at least have one switch which allows for a really large number of repeaters.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.