What is the BEST program to stop programs from calling out

A lot of users do hope that there's nothing bad without any chance to detect anything. :-)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk
Loading thread data ...

That would work IF I had the install disk for XP. I don't. I have the restore CD from Dell and I'm sure using that would just put me back to where I started. Even so, an install from scratch is still a formidable task.

TomJ

Reply to
TomJ

Thank You!!

Could you elaborate how my actions were flawed?? This is an app installed by Dell. I was/am fairly certain it would do no harm. Just wanted to know what it did/does. When it went to the install window, I aborted the install and then blocked it.

I'm no expert, but there are hundreds of exe files on this system. I have no idea what they do. And probably never will.

TomJ

Reply to
TomJ

Just take a look whether they're present on the Windows CD as well. If not, they're custom applications.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I'm not saying *you* can't do it, but you're advancing a highly technical, multi-hour solution as a "simple" solution for everybody to use on their new computers.

To do my laptop involved searching out and downloading no less than 12 separate driver packages and too hours with dozens of reboots. I've prepped hundreds of computers over the years, I don't find it difficult. But I don't believe it's a viable solution for most users. And in one case, not one of the downloadable drivers would get my Bluetooth to work, while the preinstall disk would.

So you *really* believe that a complete reformat and reload of all drivers is what the average user should do with their system?

Then I suggest you need to come out of your office/lab and spend some time appreciating live for an average user.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

You're correct... Reformatting and OS reinstalling is more than basic. I, for one, don't know the poster's level of competency. Do you? If his/her level is not very high, offering different options is a good way to go.

When someone isn't as knowledgeable in a certain area as you, do you just say, "I'll do it," or do you offer to teach them?

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.