WEP on router or access point or both?

I have a Netgear WGR614 router and a Netgear WPN802 RangeMax Access Point. I already have WEP (64-bit) on the router. Do I need to take the WEP off of the router and add it to the access point? If WEP stays on router, what do I need to do so that wireless devices will work with the access point? The wireless devices work with the router before introducing the access point.

Reply to
bberryno4
Loading thread data ...

WEP is almost worthless - you need WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK2 to be secure.

All devices that communicate with your network have to be on the same key/ssid of they share the network.

Reply to
Leythos

I agree with Leythos, WEP is worthless. Don't even consider it anymore. Second, I'm not exactly sure what you mean concerning WEP on the router. The RangeMax is the wireless access point which is where the Encryption is needed. The router just handles the traffic. Encrypt your AccessPoint with the best possible encryption it has and use the uplink port to connect to the router.

Reply to
cmdjunkie

Thanks for the info...up and running! bb

Reply to
Moody

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.