Website for Application Protocols

Do anyone know a website that list the protocols that is used by applications, and the ports and addresses that each protocol used?

So basically, for example, if I have Live Messenger and I want to allow it through my firewall, the site describes that Live Messenger uses MSN Protocol that opens port xyz, and connects to certain IP.

grc is good, however it is the reverse of what I'm looking for since grc lists port -> applications.

Reply to
Lie Ryan
Loading thread data ...

There is an extensive ports database at speedguide.net that you can search by application or service name and it will pull up all the ports it uses. The database combines all known information from IANA and many port lists:

formatting link
There are also links on the page to other port lists with relevant info, I believe portforward.com has them listed by applicatioin.

I hope that helps,

Philip

Reply to
Philip

Thanks, Phillip, but I was looking for something more easily browsable if we know the program we want to block or allow. The problem with most port-list website is that they index by port numbers, useful if we got a security alert and want to know what program caused it, but not as useful if we want to make sure a certain program would work/be blocked. The speedguide.net website is a bit more usable than grc though in this respect. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Lie Ryan

Please be aware of the fact, that every protocol can be used with any port. Well-known port numbers are a recommendation only.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.