Question About DMZ. Please Help.

I have broadband cable not DSL.

I have tried several places and have not been able to get an answer to this question.

I use a LinkSys router. Several people have suggested I need to forward certain ports to make MSN Messenger Application Sharing work, but each person lists different ports to forward.

As a test, I pointed DMZ on my router at my machine's IP address. As I understand it, DMS opens/forwards all ports. So, enabling it should rule out any and all port forwarding issues, is that correct?

FYI, app sharing still didn't work.

jim

Reply to
jim evans
Loading thread data ...

| I have broadband cable not DSL. | | I have tried several places and have not been able to get an answer to | this question. | | I use a LinkSys router. Several people have suggested I need to | forward certain ports to make MSN Messenger Application Sharing work, | but each person lists different ports to forward. | | As a test, I pointed DMZ on my router at my machine's IP address. As | I understand it, DMS opens/forwards all ports. So, enabling it | should rule out any and all port forwarding issues, is that correct? | | FYI, app sharing still didn't work. | | jim

Your question is not related to cable or DSL. However, in the future, if you have a Cable ISP problem here is the place to go... comp.dcom.modems.cable

Also note it is NOT On Topic for MS Networking.

The following IS the right News Group specifically for your problem ! microsoft.public.msn.messenger

Reply to
David H. Lipman

It is not a question about Messenger, nor is it a question about cable modems so neither of your suggestions is appropriate. My question is about broadband routers and how the DMZ function works.

DSL uses broadband routers and there seems to be no newsgroup devoted to these devices.

A check of Google shows many posts about broadband routers in the xdsl group. That is how I chose this group.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

port-forwarded. What

ISPs as well.

function works"

I probably know better than you how newsgroups work. Who died and made you the policeman of this (and other) newsgroups anyway?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Oh, and by the way, I have access to two news services and neither carries alt.comp.networking.routers.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

| | It is not a question about Messenger, nor is it a question about cable | modems so neither of your suggestions is appropriate. My question is | about broadband routers and how the DMZ function works. | | DSL uses broadband routers and there seems to be no newsgroup devoted | to these devices. | | A check of Google shows many posts about broadband routers in the xdsl | group. That is how I chose this group. | | jim

Well it IS about Messenger and what TCP and/or UDP ports needs to be port-forwarded. What better place to ask about MSN Messenger and what protocols it uses other than a MS News Group dedicated to that program ? Albeit, if you enable uPnP MSN Messenger may do this automatically to port-forward the required ports.

You know also know that the News Group; comp.dcom.modems.cable is for Cable ISPs as well.

Now if your question really concerns "...broadband routers and how the DMZ function works" then the News Group; alt.comp.networking.routers is apropos.

Do you now see how it works Jim ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

No. It didn't work. Am I correct that DMZ forwards all ports?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

| | I probably know better than you how newsgroups work. Who died and | made you the policeman of this (and other) newsgroups anyway? | | jim

Spoken like a newbie !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I have a LinkSys BFSR11. I could not get port forwarding to work with VNC

5600. This is a single port and I don't think I made a mistake in setting it up. I could not get port forwarding to work, period. I had to resort to DMZ as a workaround. Setting up DMZ did work.

You do not say what your DMZ results were. My guess is it worked for you.

If my experience is valid, it may be that the problem you are having is in the LinkSys port forwarding function implementation itself.

Reply to
Dennis Reinhardt

That is my impression, yes. You can easily test this in your setup only to insure the DMZ is correctly setup.

Reply to
Dennis Reinhardt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.