using SpyAnywhere to access a remote PC behind a firewall

I recently installed SpyAgent and SpyAnywhere on a PC in my house; I can access it remotely via SpyAnywhere's website from another machine on the network (you just go to their website and enter the IP address and the password, and you're in). However, when I try to access it from a computer outside of the network, I can't get in. SpyAnywhere's support page says to do this:

1. How do I access my remote PC if it is behind a firewall?

The easiest way to access a computer that is protected by a firewall is to map one of the firewall's ports to SpyAnywhere's port (default is port 80).

For example: FIREWALL IP address: 172.120.0.1 SpyAnywhere machine: IP address: 172.120.0.10, Port: 1000

In this case, you should pick a port on the firewall (say, 4000) and map it to 172.120.0.10:1000 Having done the above, you will be able to access the computer with the URL http://172.120.0.1:4000 Unfortunately, I am very much a novice and I don't really understand the instructions. SpyAnywhere does not have a tech support number I can call; can someone translate this into layman's terms and walk me through this?

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
brawny_javo
Loading thread data ...

Usually this is called port forwarding. Most, if not all routers/firewalls will allow you to forward a port on the external side of your link to a different port on your local network.

Check your router configuration page (the router on your network). In the config settings, there should be a page that allows you to specify an incoming port number which maps to an internal IP address and port number e.g.

Incoming port 4000 > Internal IP add 172.120.0.10 Port 1000

This will allow any traffic destined to your external IP address with port number 4000 to be forwarded to your specified internal IP address of your machine, but with the port number translated to 1000.

Reply to
ABC

...where would I find this? As I say, I am a bit of a novice--you may have to spell things out for me when it comes to networking/routers.

Thanks much, Stephen

Reply to
brawny_javo

This looks OK. Go to the forwarding page.

formatting link

-zero

Reply to
zero

That seemed easy enough, although the example screenshots for the router guides for my model router (on portforward.com's screenshots) didn't match what I saw on the screen very well when I tried to execute their instructions. I will try the set-up I created later tonight, and if it doesn't work I'll be back soon!!

Thanks much! Stephen

zero wrote:

Reply to
brawny_javo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.