Configuring firewall to allow remote administrator

hi..

i'm having P4, 256MB RAM, Win XP Pro SP2 on PC. I want to use radmin

2.1 for remote administrator.. i'm using dataone's 256kbps adsl broadband connection, my adsl router is SmartAX MT882 ADSL Router from Huawei from china..

i've tried to create remote administration connection between two pcs one at distant place.. which can already use radmin 2.1 without any problem.. but when it tries to connect with my pc it couldn't.

i've turned off windows firewall but still it doesn't.

I think my router is acting as a firewall & thats why i'm unable to create connection.. it's have NAT feature to prevent direct connection with my pc.. & i don't know how to configure its firewall to allow such kinds of connections..

it would be wise if you help me in configuring my router's NAT & firewall rules for enabling radmin.

thanks in advance krunal

Reply to
jariwalakrunal
Loading thread data ...

Remote Admin 2.1 uses port 4899 by default - if you expose 4899 directly you will be hacked. I see this port scanned in our firewall logs quite often on a daily basis.

Remote Admin 2.1 allows you to change the host port to anything you want

- for instance, you could set the listening port to 60000, which is a port that not normal for RADMIN and not normally scanned.

As for what to do with your firewall:

If your ISP connection does NAT - meaning you have a Private IP address like 192.168.x.y, then you need to FORWARD 4899 inbound to your computers IP address.

If you are connected directly to the Internet from your computer and your computer has a PUBLIC IP, then you only need to create PORT EXCEPTION for 4899 in the Windows Firewall.

Keep in mind that 4899 is the default and you should not be using the default port for this.

Reply to
Leythos

You should keep the machine out of the DMZ. You may have to config XP's FW to open the required port too.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Do you know, that it lasts ca. 30 seconds until an unprotected PC is infected?

You're lucky here.

You have to find out. Please start by reading the documentation first.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thank you for your reply...

as u have said "As for what to do with your firewall:

If your ISP connection does NAT - meaning you have a Private IP address

like 192.168.x.y, then you need to FORWARD 4899 inbound to your computers IP address."

but how can i do this myself... pls help..

thanks in advance krunal jariwala

Reply to
jariwalakrunal

Read your NAT Router's manual?

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.