Access PC from Work

Trying to connect to my home PC from work. I have port forwarding set up to direct my external address (68.41.XX.XXX) to an internal address for my Web camera (192.168.0.11). I am using Motorola's SBG 1000 HTPP, my ISP provider is COMCAST, and my port(s) are set to HTPP (8080). Everything works will within my home LAN, but I cannot even ping my external address without getting a time-out message. Could COMCAST be blocking my access, or is it something else that I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
t3606aw
Loading thread data ...

Comcast is probably not blocking any ports affecting your operation. They likely only block ports used by Sasser/Blaster worms (as my ISP does). Comcast doesn't even have a blanket block on port 25; only blocking for customers whose IPs have shown spam abuse.

Do not overlook work; your employer's IT staff has a primary duty to protect the company network, and you may find it hard to get through their firewall for anything not employment related.

Do you mean that you can't ping your Comcast public WAN IP address from work? Comcast residential IP addresses seem to respond to pings, at least from my end. Did you configure your router to block ICMP packets from the WAN? For the purpose of this kind of testing, you may wish to enable your router to respond to ICMP packets; at least temporarily.

Reply to
NormanM

Got it working (used wrong Port Forwarding address). Thanks for your help.

Reply to
t3606aw

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.