Usenet allowed from work?

[snip]

If you seriously "never know", and yet worry about illegal stuff lurking on your computer, I think you'd be better off actually learning how your computer works than hoping your "evidence remover of the month" removes it all.

- Eirik

Reply to
Eirik Seim
Loading thread data ...

Shilly, your "latest IP trick" doesn't change anything. The site is not reachable through normal security means.

Reply to
Leythos

Shilly, the violation is on the side of the person listening to your crap from work, not your end. So, as we've been trying to tell you, if a person at work violates company policy, subverts the network security, they can be fired, they will be detected, and their actions can be against the law in most places.

There is liability on your side if the person is fired after following your instructions on how to violate company policy and not be detected.

Reply to
Leythos

Which means nothing.

Reply to
Leythos

Shilly, that only works for people that don't have secure networks. Anyone behind a secure network isn't going to be able to reach your station no matter what you do or what you change or how often.

Reply to
Leythos

I think he's refering more to the problem of "just what IS illegal in another country"

A typical european p*rn collection for example would probably be illegal in Japan, and vice versa, as the laws are quite different...

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Well, what I am TRYING to make Walter Roberson, and a couple others understand, is that becuase by Web page is a on a server hosted in FRANCE, any content that comes out of that Web page is ONLY subject to FRENCH laws, that I cannot be held CRIMINALLY liable under USC 18:1030, becuase the content is being served from FRANCE.

On a server hosted in FRANCE, any content that comes out of it is ONLY subject to FRENCH laws. While someone could attempt to have me held CIVILLY liable, the content I had there on circumventing filtering systems (before I discovered my little IP lookup trick to throw Websense, Bess, Sentian, and the major filtering products for a loop) was NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States laws, because the content was being served from a server in FRANCE, where FRENCH laws and ONLY FRENCH LAWS apply. What I serve out of MY web page, hosted on a server in FRANCE is NOT SUBJECT to ANY PART of USC 18:1030 or ANY OTHER criminal law, in the United States. ANY legal action, if any were applicable, would have to be persued in a FRENCH court, because the SERVER for my web site is in FRANCE, so, therefore United States laws DO NOT APPLY.

Its just like when I let the one Canadian woman I mentioned up thread come through my server, to get information on her pairs skater friend who was injured last February at Four Continents. Because the proxy that I gave her a temporary login and password for is in FRANCE,

*I* CANNOT be held CRIMINALLY liable for any violations of the Canada Criminal Code she may have undertaken using my server, becuase my server is in France. Becuase my server is in FRANCE, I was NOT SUBJECT to ANY prosecution under the Canada Criminal Code, becuase my Web server (and proxy server) is hosted in FRANCE.

The ONLY part of my operation that IS subject to U.S. laws is the content directly broadcast through my Live 365 account in the United States. However, everything else, which is hosted OUTSIDE the United States is NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States laws.

Got it? Good

Reply to
Chilly8

YMMV... Look at that Nazi Ernst Zuendel, who hosted his stuff in Canada and the US. He's being extradited to Germany now, where his drivel is illegal.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Wrong - if you provide the content then you are liable in many countries, including the US. It doesn't matter where people get the content from, only that you provided it.

Reply to
Leythos

If there's even a remote possibility of connecting the content of his postings here with his eagerness to talk his listeners into getting fired, I would say his obvious knowledge of how to remove "evidence" doesnt really help.

- Eirik

Reply to
Eirik Seim

X-No-Archive: Yes

I was out sick for a few days with a rather nasty stomach flu, and I only just recently examined the listener statistics, the listenership has gone THROUGH THE ROOF in the past week. the number of people listening at once is quickly approach the maximum amount of "free listeners" (before listeners would have to pay a subsctiption to Live 365 to listen). I about flipping fell off the chair when I saw the incredible increase in Total Listening Hours (TLH). My method of registering a subdomain under my domain and then assigning to the server that Live 365 has assigned me to obviously makes my station acessible in many more workplaces, because of the increased listenership at certain times of the day, especialy during the "working hours:" in Europe and North America. If the listenership keeps going up, I may have to upgrade to a higher level package.

My mix of hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today (when not broadcasting any talk programming) is ] becoming a popular at-work choice for listening.

In the time I was out sick, for about a week or so, my station's listenership went SKY HIGH compared to what it was. It does drop off some over the weekend, but has been on an upward trend during the week. I just could not believe it when I saw the listener stats.

Reply to
Chilly8

How do you turn on and use an event log? My server runs Windows (becuase Live 365 only supports Windoze), and I think someone from China is trying to break in through Remote Desktop, or at least the firewall logs indicate so. Of course, I have had the Religious Right trying to get me for years, it is possible they could have attempted to break in through an unsecured computer in China. Ever since I broadcast some less-than-flattering commnetary about one proponent of the now defunct CDA, nearly

12 years ago, they have been trying to get me, because I regularly slam their agenda, on my online radio talk show, and have been doing so for over 12 years now.

I logged on to the server and the firewall logs showed connection attempts from an address from Heilongjiang province in China to port 3389, which Remote Desktop uses. I have RD turned on so I can access my server from anywhere in the world. There is no other way, that I know of, to remotely access Windows machines, other than Micorsoft's Remote Desktop facility.

Reply to
Chilly8

You must be kidding, aren't you? You're running a server on the web, yet you don't even know about the basics?

OK, and since Live365 (anyone knows this at all) is the only streaming server software...

Well, this obviously correlates with your incompetence. Of course, no one could even find things like SSH, VNC, ...

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Never expose such a high-level service directly to the internet. If you need to connect to that machine from the outside, use a IPSec Connection to your network first, then inside thet RD.

There are a lot of other facilities to remotel access windows machines, ranging from the very, very old PCAnywhere to VNC.

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

For unethical, law breaking, enabling, hacks like you Chilly, I hope they do break into your servers and take you down. I have no desire to help you defend your network based on how you encourage and help people violate company policy and abuse company network resources.

More power to them.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, I am not joking when I say that the Christian Right has been trying to get me for years. This is also part why I do things like provide relays and information on how to get around filtering. People HAVE been fired in America for their political beliefs (some states DO allow it), so I provide a means, during my talk show that I run, for people working for firms run by hard-line right-wing conservatives, to be able to get on the show and to listen, without the boss being able to collect any evidence to fire someone for thier POLITICAL BELIEFS. By offering to call them, instead of them calling me, there is NO WAY the officers of the company would ever know someone was on a talk show that opposes most of the agenda of the Christian Right. Since nothing would appear on the company phone bill, becuase I called them, there would be no evidence to terminate someone for their political beliefs.

This is also why I offer a special encrypted which only runs during my talk show itself. It is bascially a relay from my machine that goes to Live 365. Becuase of copyright licensing restrictions I can ONLY offer THAT feed during my talk show. All they have to do is simply download a small client program for the software I use from my machine, and save it to a memory stick. When its time for my show to come on, they just smply plug in the memory stick, run the client program, type in their login and password, and they have an encrypted stream to my talk show, and because it cannot be cracked, analised, monitored, or sniffed, so any evidence to terminate someone for their political beliefs would not be there. As has been said, "The book will be open, but the pages will be in an unreadable language". And in the U.S., this is LEGAL in 46 states. The only states where this is illegal are Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, and Florida, due to "Super DMCA" laws that make it illegal to "hide the source or destination of a connection".

Contrary to popular opinion, circumventing the company filtering system, in the U.S., is ONLY a criminal offence in Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, and Florida, and is LEGAL in the other 46 states. As long as you are not in those four states, circumbenting the company filtering system is LEGAL, as long as you do not break in to any password- protected service to do it. Contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT a FEDERAL offence to circumvent filtering systems (as long as you do not break into any password-protected services), but IS a STATE criminal offence in Colorado, Michigan, Indiana, and Florida, due the "Super DMCA" laws in those states.

Reply to
chilly8
[paranoid rant deleted]

What had this to do with my answer on your previous post?

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.